Christiana's Reviews > All These Things I've Done

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: teen-fic, middle-school, high-school, has-sexy-times, blinded-by-science-fic, action-adventure, book-on-cding
Read from November 02 to 11, 2011

I was not prepared for how much I ended up liking this book. Although it looks pretty dystopic, I think it's kind of dystopia-lite compared to the other broken futuristic societies I've read. I liked that Zevin kept this one 70 or so years in the future, but lots has stayed the same. It's mostly a realistic portrayal of what we could be looking at in 100 years if things continue-only recyclable materials, water shortage, paper shortage, etc.

I liked that this has a little bit of a mobster crime piece to it, although I would have liked a little bit more (honestly, I would love for Anya to take over the Balanchine chocolate empire because I think girlfriend is 16 going on 30). The characters were so strong in this book and Zevin gives teens the glory they deserve. If I have to read another book where some teen makes a totally unrealistic decision that is mostly plot-driven, I am going to throw a library book, I swear. I'LL DO IT.

What I really liked was that Anya is strongly Catholic, but in a way where religion helps her feel better about her shortcomings (although this girl is crazy GUILT-RIDDEN). I loved that Anya wanted to wait till she was married to have sex, but in a relatable way. (Note: it goes on the sexcy times shelf because I mean, she wants to. But SPOILER she stays strong END SPOILER). She's such a strong girl role model and I loved that about her. And it made me love Scarlet for being such a good friend to Anya, who really needs to be hugged more often.

Anyway. I usually don't have much to say about books I really liked, but this book really made me think and I will definitely tune back in for the next book. I already gave this to one of my 8th graders who hates reading and she is plowing through it too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All These Things I've Done.