Kevin Walsh's Reviews > Soul Survivors Hometown Tales Vol. 1

Soul Survivors Hometown Tales Vol. 1 by Shawn M. Riddle

Jan 26, 12

I own a copy

Great book.

Being a big fan of 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson, I thought I would give this book a go. This is one of the most well put together anthologies I've seen in a long time. Most anthologies I have read have always had a weak link in the book, they always had that one story that hurts my image of the whole anthology. For instance, "The Living Dead" (compiled by John Jospeh Adams) was a massive tome filled with a bunch of zombie goodies, except for some odd reason, the editor put in stories that had no business being in the anthology. One of those stories, "Zombie Contingency plans", wasn't even about zombies! The only mention of zombies was that the main character liked zombies, (yeah ridiculous, I know.) that is all, and that has given me a sour image of anthologies.
But Soul Survivors has restored that image. There isn't a single bad story in this book. Each story is incredible, thought provoking, and some are downright disturbing.
and right now I would like to point out some of my favourites from this strong assortment of stories. Just because I don't mention a particular story in this review, doesn't mean I didn't like it, they were all powerful.
"Pretend girlfriend" is a short but sweet emotional ride of a young survivor, very well done.
"Tired of being Bored" by J. Rodimus Fowler is a different kind of story, definitely not a conventional apocalyptic tale. Well written, spooky and an overall well crafted story.
"Love Thy Neighbour" by Patrick D'Orazio was a solid tale with a dark rawness to it, Excellent.
"City of the Dead." by Sean T. Page was an intriguing story about a professor locked away in his study while the world has fallen into disarray. A very well written story, the author has a great voice and he was able to create a very haunting atmosphere. Spooky stuff.
"A warm Spring day." by Sean M. Thompson is a very twisted tale. I usual don't take too fondly to stories about demons, but this story was so disturbing that I just couldn't put it down. You know a story is good if it resonates, and now I can't look at a telephone pole the same way again.
Last but not least in this list, is Charlie Morgan's "Birthday Wish". This is perhaps the most emotionally driven of all the stories in the anthology. It was a strong, well written story. The only issue I had was that it needed to be longer, absolutely solid story.
All of the stories were great, and I have said before: none of them are weak. I'd advise any fans of post-apocalyptic fiction to get a copy, it won't dissapoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Survivors Hometown Tales Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linty (new) - added it

Linty Awesome n helpful review. This shall be my next purchase!