Grace's Reviews > To Have and to Kill

To Have and to Kill by Mary Jane Clark

F 50x66
Nov 02, 11

Read in October, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The book was a quick and easy read and mostly enjoyable. I was a little disappointed about several things, though. There were a lot of potential murderers, but none were really fleshed out. The eventual outing of the actual murderer felt more like a "Scooby Doo" moment to me. It also bothered me that the back of the book implies that Piper teams up with her hot FBI friend. Er, no. I saw less of him in the book than a couple of the victims. If you are going to say that they "teamed up" -- they need to be working together -- more like Beckett and Castle on the TV show Castle. Come on, they barely spoke. He seemed more like a contrived writing tool to move Piper along to her next scene. I could barely tell they were more than acquaintances. I know the author said they had been friends, but you have to do more than tell me something -- you have to show it to me in actions and scenes. I do understand that this is the first in a series, and perhaps the main characters will become more developed as time goes by, but I didn't know that going in. To me, a series doesn't mean the same main character is the main character of the next book. So, slightly disappointed. Not sure if I'll pick up the next book or not.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Have and to Kill.