Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Folk Guitar with Laura Weber: A Series of Beginning Lessons

Folk Guitar with Laura Weber by Laura Weber
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Folk Guitar with Laura Weber.

message 1: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Warwick WHERE CAN ONE FIND THIS BOOK?

Lisa Vegan Marie, I don't know. It's very old. I took guitar lessons with her at San Francisco State University over 25 years ago. You might be able to find a used copy somewhere. It's a great book for beginners, but I'm sure there are other newer ones that are good as well.

message 3: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Warwick I studied the lastest books out but none as as simple to teach a beginner. I heard that Laura just died. I tried to find the publisher and her producer, Virginia Duncan. I could not locate either. Her original book was only 21 pages and at the end you could play the guitar and many many songs!

Lisa Vegan Check Amazon Marketplace, Alibris, ABE Books, etc. places that sell used books including used book stores. You might find a copy. It is a good book but, as I said before, I suspect it's not completely unique in how good a job it does in teaching guitar to beginners. There may be newer books you haven't seen yet too.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Spina Wouldn't it be grand if Laura's TV teaching programs were made available on DVDs? As a classical piano teacher for many decades I had students who also wanted to learn just a "bit" of beginning folk guitar. I offered only about 8 lessons with the understanding that if the student wished to continue guitar and become proficient they would find a true guitar studio. Laura Weber's first lessons were just right! Perhaps they'd be a bit dated now . . . . but they are and were well thought out. Just right to provide the "feel" of the instrument.

Lisa Vegan Ruth, I'd forgotten about the tv show. It was on PBS, correct? It would be helpful for many learners if her lessons were on DVD. I think I needed someone right there, to correct me, show me, etc. She was wonderful and encouraging in person! I was taking her class just for fun. I was in the class with a friend who was majoring in music, and and there were many music majors in the class, people who played other instruments and were more adept than I was, but she somehow managed to do a great job of teaching all of us.

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Spina Lisa, Indeed, the program was on PBS. I found quite a bit more information on the program just now on YouTube at erniesbudolab . "Ernie" apparently studied with Laura Weber for several years and has continued to put forth her music and ideas. In his blog section of this citation he believes that KGBD of San Francisco may be getting dvds of her '60s instructional show ready. It would be nice, but I can find no other mention of them. You might enjoy reading other folks' accolades for this program on that site.

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Spina Lisa, Oops - I should have said KGED. ! Ruth

Lisa Vegan For us in San Francisco, it was KQED.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Thanks for the information about the site and the possible DVDs. The site looks interesting, and the DVDs would be a great resource. I'm glad she taped that show!