Judy's Reviews > It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong

May 26, 08

I have a friend who had cancer surgery a week ago today and was reading this book, so I decided to read it with her. Normally it is not the type of book I would pick up, but I thought is was inspiring and motivating.

At 25 years old, Lance Armstrong was just starting to make a mark in cycling when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. This book describes his fight against the disease, which was in advanced stages (tumors in his lungs and brain), and the highly improbable comeback that led to his victory in the 1999 Tour de France, cycling's greatest event.

The book describes his youth in Texas where he started winning triathlons early on. Soon, his whole focus was on cycling.

But that dream appeared to be shattered by the cancer diagnosis. But after several surgeries and grueling chemo, he survived, and quickly fought his way back to fitness and international acclaim. I was especially impressed by his relationship to his devoted mother who never gave up on him.

I found the book fascinating on three very personal levels: 1) relating it to Karen as she faces the unknowns of battling an aggressive form of cancer; 2) relating it to my brother Dave, testicular cancer survivor; 3) relating it to Chase Renick, a young man in our ward with a passion for cycling who was the National Junior Champion at age 17 and followed that with extensive training in Europe, only to give it all up to serve an LDS mission in Geneva, Switzerland. This is a great book if you have had or know someone who has cancer, or if you are a cycling enthusiast (rider or spectator).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not About the Bike.