Colleen's Reviews > Size 12 Is Not Fat

Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot

Nov 01, 2011

Read in January, 2010 , read count: 1

Heather Wells was a teen she was at the height of fame as a pop singer and linked to an equally popular boy band member. Well, her fame lasted for 15 minutes (she lost her contract after she put her foot down about only singing songs she wrote), her seemingly forever boyfriend dumped her, and her mom ran off to Mexico with Heather’s money and a new boyfriend. Heather was left with virtually nothing, and she started to gain weight. I wasn’t sure that I was going to like this series when I started it, because the character was struggling with weight issues. I thought, “Oh no, another stereotypical girl gains weight and loses her self-esteem, only to realize that weight doesn’t matter and then she magically loses a ton of weight”. But thankfully that is not how this series goes at all! The books don’t center on Wells” weight gain, and Cabot deals with the issue in a funny but also sensible way. No eating disorders or hidden messages here. Heather has gained weight, and that’s all. It’s hard for her to accept that this is her new body, but she doesn’t really feel the need to lose the weight. Refreshing, right!?

The series really centers on the mysteries that Heather encounters while working at “death dorm”. Murder seems to find Heather, and as an amateur sleuth she feels the need to solve these mysteries despite the extreme danger she finds herself getting into. Of course there is an additional romance storyline–and it’s a good one. Apparently, after she was dumped by her boy band boyfriend and left with nothing, his brother and real private detective, let her stay in his house. Of course, the ex-boyfriend’s brother (Cooper) turns out to be Mr. Perfect in Heather’s eyes. The only problem is that she doesn’t think Cooper feels the same way about her, especially since she used to be a pop star and dated his brother. Cooper is the black sheep of his rich and famous family, but he likes it that way.

Anyways, I would highly recommend the Heather Wells series by Meg Cabot. I know why I liked it–the mysteries are good and keep me guessing, the romance angle is not too over the top and is digestible, and the chick lit aspects (especially where body image is concerned) are handled tastefully with no “perfect ending”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Size 12 Is Not Fat.