Kit Fox's Reviews > The Invisible Circus

The Invisible Circus by Jennifer Egan

Nov 04, 11

Read from November 01 to 04, 2011

Like, oh my god. This soooo reminds me of the time I deferred my enrollment at U.C. Berkeley to go traipsing around Europe in an attempt to retrace the footsteps of my crazybeautiful older sister who's untimely suicide from an Italian sightseeing spot served as the catalyst for my burgeoning maturity and stuff. And I slept with people. (Sorry.) Just a pretty obvious "good but not great" first novel from a young author; super heavy on extraneous descriptions of buildings/cafes/European streets that serve very little purpose. That being said, while I didn't feel this showed hints of what an awesome novelist Jennifer Egan would eventually become, I'm glad she got this one out of the way and moved on to bigger and loftier things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Circus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric A writing professor from college once told me, "First novels are meant to be celebrated and then forgotten."

message 2: by Kit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kit Fox Sounds about right to me. Get it out, get it done, and then get on with the getting on.