Ashley's Reviews > A Chair for My Mother

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: picture-books, realistic-fiction

I don’t know what I love more, Vera B. William’s heart-warming story or her Caldecott Honor Award Winning illustrations in A Chair for my Mother. William’s reveals the realistic hardships of a family who have lost all of their possessions to a fire. The story shows the support that friends and neighbors bring after the fire, but also shows the determination and hard work the family endures to bring comfort back into their home. They all work hard to save up coins in a jar to buy a new chair for their house.

I like that the story was told from the little girl’s point of view. By being written in first person, you feel a stronger connection to the little girl and her family, and the story is given a more realistic feel.

I think this would be an effective read aloud for my class. I think William’s use of detail, lends itself for creating vivid visualizations, as well as shows the reader a family that either mirrors their own family and life, or reveals a glimpse of a different perspective; lets the reader walk in someone else's shoes. It shows the importance of hard work, and reminds us not take our blessings for granted.

I fell in love with William’s illustrations. The bright colors signifies the family’s optimism. Her attention to detail, the incorporation of borders, and little patterned-foreshadowings create an adventure in pictures, and adds to the reader’s realistic reading journey. The illustrations also have a child-like feel, almost like Rosie drew them herself!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Chair for My Mother.