Jason's Reviews > From Light to Dark

From Light to Dark by Irene L. Pynn

Nov 20, 11

Read from November 01 to 20, 2011

I just finished reading From Light to Dark and I was pleasantly surprised. I was surprised because Fantasy Romance is not a genre that I gravitate towards, nor do I believe the book's target audience is men in their 30s. Regardless of these two personal hurdles, this book is excellent. Marrying the inspiration of one of the greatest love stories ever penned, Romeo & Juliet, with the greek mythology of Icarus, you have a killer story combination.

My biggest obstacle when it comes to Fantasy are character names. I don't understand why some authors choose to make them super complicated to pronounce and how that enhances the story. When it came to From Light to Dark, I didn't mind them at all! In fact, I was actively on the lookout for new character names and how they represented and added depth to the character. It wasn't just names of characters but also names of food and creatures too. I won't spoil it for you, but read About the Author and it will open an entirely new layer of the story to explore.

This book has it all, love, action, magic, mythology, some violence, fantasy, puzzles, riddles and great characters. What it doesn't have and I very much wish it did, are instructions on how to make a Liber Flower out of construction paper. What the heck?

For $.99 this book is a steal! Considering the world Irene created here is rich with history, I am hoping there is more to come. I would love to read a book about the Governors. OMG, the Governors!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Light to Dark.

11/19/2011