Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4642710

Sometime after this review was written Kat Kennedy and I traveled down the River Styx to interview Brodi Ashton. Check out the interview here!

Right after I finished Everneath I gave it 4 stars right off the bat. It was an easy read with a great story and fantastical characters. Why didn't I give it five stars? I had to to think on that. So, I spent an entire week trying to figure out what it was about Everneath that I disliked. Conclusion:



It's true, folks. I don't have any negative things to say about Everneath. I LOVED it.

Everneath tells the story of Nikki Beckett, who having since vanished 6 months ago to the Everneath, returns to her family and friends seeking a way to permanently say goodbye before she returns to the Underworld for good. However, “bad boy”, Cole, the immortal who first took her to the Everneath, wants to make her his immortal queen and forget about those she left behind. With a period of only six months, Nikki struggles to fight her addiction to Cole, right her wrongs, and somehow find a loop hole that will keep her with her loved ones.

There are a few aspects in Everneath that make it stand out above the usual follies in the paranormal romance genre. For all of those novels that have done it wrong over and over, Everneath does it right.

What I LOVED and can't get enough of (baby):

The Characters:

Are you tired of the usual teen angst? The main character and the love interest seeming to have some whack, ass-grabbed excuse for why they can't be together? Well, so am I. Each character in this book felt like they were extremely well-developed with real issues. Nikki is looking for redemption for something she knows is her fault. She's not looking for anyone to save her. She's not pouting in the corner having a FML moment. She's doing something about it. It was her decision to go with Cole to the Everneath and allow him to feed off of her. She could have blamed it on Jack's actions, but she took full responsibility.

Cole is a very complex character. He tries very hard to convince Nikki to leave her home and become an immortal, Everliving, like him and rule as queen. But, Nikki doesn't want that. While reading, the reader is left to wonder if he is genuine when he says he cares about her or is her just playing her. Somehow Ashton manages to make us somewhat sympathetic to Cole, but she still reminds the reader that he is the bad boy. How many times do we see the heroine being instantly swept away by the bad boy's good looks? Or how about getting lost in his glorious deep eyes, that also happen to be the exact shade of the darkest pits in hell? Or my personal favorite: stalk me! I love it when you creep! *barf* Kill me now. Nikki doesn't back down from her guns. Cole follows her and she tells his ass to take a hike. Cole stakes out at her window and she tells that fool to get lost. However, there always still remains intrigue surrounding Cole. I expect to see a lot more from him in the next book.

Jack is the sweetest love interest I've read about in a while. He never gives up on Nikki when she disappears for 6 months. He was supportive and kind throughout the entire novel. Ladies, and I'm not saying this mildly, if you love Tucker Avery (view spoiler), then I'm sure you will love Jack too. Jack suspects something is amiss with Nikki and despite her not being as forthcoming about it, he steadily is always there patiently waiting until she is ready to talk.

I mean, how can you say no to a book with characters that awesome?!

The Triangle of Love:

Ashton plays this pretty slick. As I've already mentioned, Nikki avoids Cole's advances, but I know where this is headed. I'm just way too smart to be fooled!

But, you know what? I think this will be one of those cases where I'll like it. In fact, I'm going to make a rather bold statement here and say this love triangle resembles Cynthia Hand's Unearthly. Yes, I said it. You see Hand and Ashton are doing something very interesting with their romances. They both have strong female leads that clearly have a preference in the department of who they want to end up with. They struggle to ward off advances from the other male love interest, but because of factors out of their control (this is called a plot people!) they must tolerate him. He isn't around just to make the "good guy" look extra nice with his boy next door, award winning smile. He has a purpose besides trying to steal away the girl. Not only that, but the heroine knows this and tries everything in her power to not get involved with the "bad boy" because, duh!, he is BAD. And that is why it works for me. It makes me so happy someone has stopped trying to sell me the arrogant "bad boy" as a viable love interest when he has zero redeeming features! Thank you, Ashton. Gold star!

One of the best messages this novel has is the consequences of co-dependent relationships. They reason why Nikki left to go to the Everneath was a direct result of an event involving her boy friend, Jack (coupled with a few other things). Similarly, Jack loses it completely when Nikki disappears. The reason why it works in this story is because both characters acknowledged those actions were not healthy and both regretted it. Their knee-jerk reaction and violent depression is not romanticized in any way. I really wish more authors portrayed this message more often in their novels because it's important to show that losing your boy friend/girl friend can suck, but it is not the end of the world.

The Plot:

That's right, this book has one! Nikki is on a mission: redemption. That is what she attempts to gain in this novel. When she disappeared into the Everneath 6 months ago, she left a lot of relationships strained and now she is looking to fix them. She doesn't stray from that path and suddenly start fantasizing about the "bad boy" randomly. This is what makes this book such a winner because too often I see the plot being left in the bloody dust because an author thought it would be "totally romantic" to have the heroine frolic through the gardens with one of her boy toys. I'm happy to say that did not happen here. You ever heard of the saying "no romance without finance"? Well, I'm introducing a new saying: No romance without plot progress. While this is a paranormal romance through and through, the plot is always in the front.

The Ending:

So sad, but so perfect. I love how things are tied up nicely, yet you know there is more to come. I'm really excited to read the next book, but I don't feel like Ashton left me to walk the plank with Everneath's ending. Thank you for that. There are only so many cliffhangers I can take before my poor little heart gives out. It will be very interesting to see where she takes this story.

So, if you are tired of the usual run of the mill paranormal romances, you should head right on over to your book store and pick up Everneath. You're in for a treat!

ARC received through NetGalley. As always, these are my honest opinions and I was not paid for my review!

More reviews like this at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
175 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

01/31/2012
5.0% "Ah, she knits? Instant bonus points! :D"
02/01/2012
17.0% "I really like Nikki's voice so far."
02/01/2012
31.0% "Nikki blushes entirely too many times, but otherwise I'm really enjoying this." 5 comments
02/01/2012
34.0% ""Nothing changes! I still hate raisins!" *gasp* Blasphemy! Raisins are sweet and good to eat! Lol."
02/02/2012
46.0% "Lol. There's some "whisper-yelling" going on. :D" 5 comments
02/02/2012
57.0% "Okay, I'm really enjoying this! Cole is bad, but comical. Lol." 1 comment
02/03/2012
82.0% "This is romance done right. I <3 Jack." 4 comments
02/19/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)


Ikhlas Ooh this one looks so good!


message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi so you ended up liking it!


Steph Sinclair Heidi wrote: "so you ended up liking it!"

Yes, this was very good! I can't wait for the next book!


Bookish After Dark I'm glad that you liked this one. I really want to read it soon.


Steph Sinclair Not Your wrote: "I'm glad that you liked this one. I really want to read it soon."

Me too! I was pleasantly surprised. I think you'll enjoy it.


shady Eagerly waiting for your review~ <3


Steph Sinclair fαuzαn | wιld нearт wrote: "Eagerly waiting for your review~ <3"

I should have something up today or tomorrow! :)


Lisa Great review, Stephanie. I enjoyed this one too. I still have to write my review for it and two or three others. I'm so far behind. Gah.


shady Awesome review, Stephanie. :D I totally agree about the whole love triangle in this book. I was so glad Nikki was fully aware that Cole was the bad boy. Most heroines are just too blinded by their smoldering sexiness to see that. ._.


message 10: by Sheri (new) - added it

Sheri Jenkins Looking forward to reading this one!


Julianna Helms YAAAAY! :D I love your review, btw!


Limonessa Happy you loved it, I did too :)


Steph Sinclair Thanks everyone. :)

Lisa O. wrote: "Happy you loved it, I did too :)"

I can't wait for the sequel!

Sheri wrote: "Looking forward to reading this one!"

It's a good one. I think you'll enjoy it!

fαuzαn | wιld нearт wrote: "Awesome review, Stephanie. :D I totally agree about the whole love triangle in this book. I was so glad Nikki was fully aware that Cole was the bad boy. Most heroines are just too blinded by their ..."

Yeah, I kept waiting for her to start falling for him, but she never did. I was so happy to see that!

Lisa wrote: "Great review, Stephanie. I enjoyed this one too. I still have to write my review for it and two or three others. I'm so far behind. Gah."

I'm behind it reading, but I'm hoping to catch up over this weekend!


message 14: by Oz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oz Your review has convinced me I will be definitely buying this. I saw it in Waterstones the other day I was thinking of getting it, your review has assured me I should. Happy you enjoyed it, and found so many awesome qualities in the book.


Rogier Happy you enjoyed it/ i can't wait 2 read it


Lisa (Fic Talk) Awesomesauce Awesomesauce Awesomesauce. That is all. ;)


message 17: by Mika (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mika Koga super loved everneath as well!!! emotions seemed so genuine to me!


Steph Sinclair Mika wrote: "super loved everneath as well!!! emotions seemed so genuine to me!"

I completely agree! They were really great characters. That reminds me! I forgot to mention something in my review...

Lisa wrote: "Awesomesauce Awesomesauce Awesomesauce. That is all. ;)"

Oh, Lisa. I can't wait till you get to it!

Lou Eli wrote: "Your review has convinced me I will be definitely buying this. I saw it in Waterstones the other day I was thinking of getting it, your review has assured me I should. Happy you enjoyed it, and fou..."

Yay! I'm glad I have you convinced. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


Lisa (Fic Talk) Downloading it now on my kindle! Gonna read it while I'm getting my hair done. :D


Brandi Oh crap, I don't know who Tucker Avery is. :/


Jasprit great set of characters? great plot? and btw I love Tucker Avery, this is so the book for me! I must get onto it asap! :) Thanks for another awesome review :)


Steph Sinclair Jasprit wrote: "great set of characters? great plot? and btw I love Tucker Avery, this is so the book for me! I must get onto it asap! :) Thanks for another awesome review :)"

Thanks! You must, you must!

Brandi wrote: "Oh crap, I don't know who Tucker Avery is. :/"

D: You must remedy that immediately! Lol. Check out Unearthly. I think you'd really like it. :)

Lisa wrote: "Downloading it now on my kindle! Gonna read it while I'm getting my hair done. :D"

Yay!


message 23: by Oz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oz Stephanie wrote: "Mika wrote: "super loved everneath as well!!! emotions seemed so genuine to me!"

I completely agree! They were really great characters. That reminds me! I forgot to mention something in my review...."



Bought it today. =D Can see why you love it, sucks you right in to the story with the prologue!


Brandi Stephanie wrote: "Jasprit wrote: "great set of characters? great plot? and btw I love Tucker Avery, this is so the book for me! I must get onto it asap! :) Thanks for another awesome review :)"

Thanks! You must, yo..."


Oh, good to know he's from a book I already wanted to read! I will indeed remedy this soon. :)


message 25: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Hello, book! Welcome to my to-read shelf!


Steph Sinclair Erin wrote: "Hello, book! Welcome to my to-read shelf!"

*grin* My powers of persuasion are working! Lol.

Brandi wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Jasprit wrote: "great set of characters? great plot? and btw I love Tucker Avery, this is so the book for me! I must get onto it asap! :) Thanks for another awesome review :)"

Th..."


Excellent!

Lou Eli wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Mika wrote: "super loved everneath as well!!! emotions seemed so genuine to me!"

I completely agree! They were really great characters. That reminds me! I forgot to mention somet..."


I know! I usually don't like prologues, but this one was done very well. Enjoy!


CerejaCult CerejaCult Luv your review :D
About the love triangles thing.
If you take a look at the lately released books, there is a new tendency of 2 things : love triangles and series.
I mean, where's the stand alone books? Where's the one and only that's actually ONE and not two or three?
I'm not complaining (much) but I miss starting to read a book and not having to wait for the next or having to read 4 or five to discover that the whole story could easily cut down to one single book.

Beside my bitchiness about that LoL I can't wait to read this book :D Love the cover and that's is usualy a good sign. Your review made me want to read more, as always LoL


message 28: by Lora (new)

Lora Awesome review, Stephanie. I plan on reading this soon; I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. :)


Steph Sinclair Lora wrote: "Awesome review, Stephanie. I plan on reading this soon; I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. :)"

Thanks, Lora. I hope you enjoy it too!

Elisandra wrote: "Luv your review :D
About the love triangles thing.
If you take a look at the lately released books, there is a new tendency of 2 things : love triangles and series.
I mean, where's the stand alone ..."


Thank you. And, I know. It's gotten to the point where I expect there to be a book 2 or 3. I guess it's because there's more money with a series. Bigger market and such.


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazing review, Stephanie. This is one of my favorites of 2012.


message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim Great review, Stephanie! And congratulations on the new blog!


Steph Sinclair Thank you, Ace and Jim. I'm very excited and proud of the new blog. :)


Rogier i loved and ooh that ending/ worth the hype


Steph Sinclair Rogier wrote: "i loved and ooh that ending/ worth the hype"

I'm glad you enjoyed, Rogier! :D


message 35: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 FYI, the dress shown on the cover is real.



It's by some designer named Elle Saab.


Steph Sinclair Experiment wrote: "FYI, the dress shown on the cover is real.



It's by some designer named Elle Saab."


I need that dress in my closet. Post haste.


Ikhlas WOW. An Ellie Saab dress for a cover photo?! That's crazy!!


message 38: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Stephanie wrote: "Experiment wrote: "FYI, the dress shown on the cover is real.

It's by some designer named Elle Saab."

I need that dress in my closet. Post haste."


It is quite beautiful. There are photos of Halle Berry wearing the Elie Saab dress out there. Of course she looks great in it (she'd look great in a paper bag), but it looks a million times better on the runway with the fabric being blown out. It would be great to wear on a windy day.


Julianna Helms Oh my gosh. That dress.


message 40: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina I do love Tucker! And I was totally thinking of him in this book. That's so funny you mentioned him. It's what I was thinking.


Kimberly Stephanie, yours and Kat's interview with Ashton was the bees knees. I didn't think it was possible, but I enjoyed it more than your interview with Kendare Blake. Love the blog overall. Cannot think of a better blogging duo.

Anyways, I'm going to need for you to vacate my brain. Your review puts into words everything my tragically mute brain cannot express. Loved the characters, loved the plot, am madly in love with Jack, AND loved Cole (despite myself, but isn't that what Ashton wanted?).


Steph Sinclair Julianna wrote: "Oh my gosh. That dress."

Right?! It's like, "Dress, you are needed on my person... NOW!" Lol.

Tina wrote: "I do love Tucker! And I was totally thinking of him in this book. That's so funny you mentioned him. It's what I was thinking."

I love him too! He seems to be becoming my new standard for sweet love interests. ;)

Kimberly wrote: "Stephanie, yours and Kat's interview with Ashton was the bees knees. I didn't think it was possible, but I enjoyed it more than your interview with Kendare Blake. Love the blog overall. Cannot t..."

Thanks, Kimberly! And that's just our awesome Wonder Twin powers at work. Lol.

I really like how Ashton left Cole's character open for redemption. There are so many layers to him!


Karen I'm reading Everneath right now but I don't want to hurry and finish it because then I'll be very very sad. It's sooooo good!


Steph Sinclair Karen wrote: "I'm reading Everneath right now but I don't want to hurry and finish it because then I'll be very very sad. It's sooooo good!"

I'm glad you are enjoying it! Savor it, I say!


Lynn ಠ_ಠ I guess I'll read this next. Already have it in my tbr pile. :P


Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Going to add to the TBR list. Was avoiding it because the pretty dress cover.


Steph Sinclair Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "Going to add to the TBR list. Was avoiding it because the pretty dress cover."

Yes, do it! And the cover is even more beautiful in person!


message 48: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa Like your review! I'll probably be reading this after I'm done with my current book, because you make it sound so awesome :D


Steph Sinclair Teresa wrote: "Like your review! I'll probably be reading this after I'm done with my current book, because you make it sound so awesome :D"

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!


Pricky Great interview!


« previous 1
back to top