Colleen's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: biography, didn-t-finish
Read from November 01 to 03, 2011

Truly a boring book. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.

11/01/2011 "Gabrielle spends the first 3 chapters describing her childhood and family life. It's a bit much, a half of chapter could have covered it. Get to the cooking and restaurant experience already!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Colleen This has to the the most BORING book I have ever read. The only reason I'm still reading it is because I have nothing else to replace it with.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Oh, the dreaded one-star review! I always cringe when I see these...it must be BAD!

Colleen Christine wrote: "Oh, the dreaded one-star review! I always cringe when I see these...it must be BAD!"

You know, a lot of people rated this book highly, so don't go by my review. The author spend a lot of time talking about herself and her childhood and her parents.... ugh, I felt like I was wallowing in her life it was the last place on earth I wanted to be. I think it was the last place on earth she wanted to be.

Perhaps its because I grew up not far from where she grew up, so i know the type of people and neighborhoods and it doesn't elicit happy thoughts for me. Or, perhaps because her biography is sooooo self absorbed that I felt like I was getting whip lashed every time she took a current story and related it to her past.

But then again, this book has gotten some pretty good reviews. So like every other book, everyone takes away something different. For me, I didn't want what was offered.

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal the way you're describing it reminds me of my reaction to Gluten Free Girl. i wanted to like that book. I really did. but her wallowing in her own issues really detracted from the actual topic of the book, which was FOOD! in my opinion, anyway. I'm moving this one to the bottom of my to read list. thanks!

message 5: by Colleen (last edited Nov 04, 2011 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Colleen Crystal wrote: "the way you're describing it reminds me of my reaction to Gluten Free Girl. i wanted to like that book. I really did. but her wallowing in her own issues really detracted from the actual topic of t..."

Did you read, Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdaine? That was a pretty good book. I also enjoyed (but not as much as kitchen Confidential) Heat by Bill Buford.

And I am currently reading, Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl. Its about a restaurant critic and her experiences on the job, I've been entertained by it so far.

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal I haven't read any of those so far. I had Heat and meant to read it, but ended up gifting it to a friend interested in the culinary field...but they're all on my to-read list. glad to hear they're better! :)

Colleen They are, I just started "The sharper your knife, the less you cry" by Kathleen Finn. Its about a woman who was let go from her job and decided to attend Le Cordon bleu in France (the same cooking school Julia Child went to)and talks about what her experiences were like. I like the book so far.