Lori's Reviews > Natural Selection

Natural Selection by Dave Freedman

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: horror-thrillers, thrillers, worth-every-minute

I read a lot of books. A lot. Even before I began reviewing them, I always had a book in my hand or in my bag. True crime is among my preferred genres. I don't scare or get freaked out easily. Natural Selection scared me. More than once I found myself actually speaking to a character, saying "No! Don't go there!" or "No! Don't touch it!" If I could have continued reading with my hands over my eyes, I think I would have.

Natural Selection is a cyclone of crazy action, biological discoveries and academia and a very well thought out "what if" involving nature that rivals Jaws. It's a fast paced and gripping horror story involving flying predators - - imagine Jaws in the air, if you will. I was utterly obsessed and I loved it.

I have no idea whether or not the science that Mr. Freedman mentions is factual or even plausible and, frankly, it's irrelevant because the story is just so damn good. It will make you really wonder what exactly lives in the deepest depths of the ocean or the furthest corners of the forests that we know nothing about - - and when and if those unknown species will choose to make their presence known to us and how they will do it. Read Natural Selection and this thought will give you chills.

Oftentimes books like this will have fairly expendable and tertiary characters - - much like watching a slasher film, I can usually pick them out quickly, dubbing them "Victim" because their presence will be limited and their only real role is to be fodder for the villain/antagonist. Natural Selection has a strong and solid cast of characters, ones that are all relevant to the story and some that you will genuinely care about. Worrying about their fates, and having them pitted against methodical killers, make this book a real nail biter.

Has Hollywood heard of this book yet? It would be a fantastical summer blockbuster. Until that time, though, get yourself to your local bookseller and pick up a copy of this book. You won't regret it.

Well done, Mr. Freedman. I look forward to your future efforts. (Please, please, please write more like Natural Selection!)

Review Copyright © Psychotic State Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Selection.