Aymee's Reviews > The 8th Confession

The 8th Confession by James Patterson

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, mystery-thriller
Read in November, 2011

So, I’ve had this love/hate relationship with James Patterson since I read my first Alex Cross novel quite a few years ago. See, he writes these amazing stories but he breaks them up into itty bitty chapters. Why is this a bad thing? Well, mainly it’s a bad thing because you find yourself sitting there, at nearly nine o’clock at night thinking, “Hmmm, it’s only three pages… I can do one more chpater.” Before you know it, it’s creeping up on eleven o’clock and five thirty AM is staring you in the face. I literally devour each and every one of his books that I’m presented with. And this was no exception.

As per usual, you have your main mystery coupled with at least one side story, to keep you guessing as well as entertained. However, he really outdid himself this time as there were two side stories as well as the personal interactions of the Women’s Murder Club, plus Lindsay’s partner, Rich, to think about. But in true James Patterson style, he wove all three stories, as well as the continuing story of the Women’s Murder Club, into one seamless tale by the end.

I love the way he works in not just the way Lindsay interacts with her friends – Cindy, Claire, and Yuki – but also their personal lives, like including Claire’s family and Lindsay’s relationship with Joe. It rounds out the characters and brings their choices and decisions into a more realistic light. Not only that, but I find it fun to know everything I can about a character. For me, that’s what brings them fully to life.

There are only two complaints in regards to this book. 1) There wasn’t nearly enough Lindsay/Claire interaction for my tastes. I love the way that Claire mothers her and Lindsay lets her. 2) Cindy. She’s always been a bit on the annoying side for my tastes, but knowing that she’s a reporter, I’ve always tried to put it to the side, blaming it on her doing what needed to be done to get her story. However, as far as I’m concerned, there were points in this book where she was a raving biotch, to put it lightly. And while you can chalk it up to being passionate about her cause, there wasn’t ever really any reason for it, other than Cindy being Cindy.

That said, everything else about The 8th Confession was awesome. There were surprises along the way and a lot of good times. You laugh, you cry, you shout out in disbelief or frustration. If there was ever a master of the rollercoaster emotion, it is James Patterson.

And thus, one more reason I have such a love/hate relationship with the man. Should I ever meet him, I’m afraid I’d hug him, stomp on his toes, and then hug him again.

I’d like to think that he’d understand why, too.

DISCLAIMER: I borrowed this book from the library, free of charge, via my Kindle. I did it solely out of my misguided love for Lindsay Boxer and her dog, Martha.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 8th Confession.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raymond (new) - added it

Raymond Roop Been there done that many a nights. Just one more chapter lol

Aymee Raymond wrote: "Been there done that many a nights. Just one more chapter lol"

Right? And I did it to myself again last night... I either need to stop reading or stop getting up at 4 AM! :)