Heidi Roth's Reviews > The Sea of Storms

The Sea of Storms by Mark Whiteway

F_50x66
Nov 01, 11

Read in October, 2011

The first book in the Lodestone series comes to you with awards while offering many rewards to the reader. For those who read both science fiction and fantasy, “Book One: The Sea of Storms” is a recommended read. Mr. Whiteway does an excellent job of honoring the forms of those he admires, such as Jules Verne, while creating a new world and journey of his own making.

The book contrasts a society with cues both reptilian and humanoid. This first part of the larger story introduces classic conflicts of science and religion well-reflected in cultural values of the elite versus other groups. Based on an ensemble cast, each reader will find at least one character easy to identify with, propelling the story forward. Thanks to inclusion of a young woman, a musician, a holy warrior, a mysterious revolutionary, and an inscrutable insectiod, the action leads strongly through the book.

The dominant culture presented on this planet appears to not have much advanced technology. As things progress, the main characters must confront contrary evidence about religious believes, the political ramifications, and personal choices as a result of such changes. Perhaps the current state of their society is not a real representation of their history and heritage.

Challenges abound, ensuring characters have the opportunity to grow, change, and discover more about themselves. This is an important aspect to successful, modern speculative fiction that effortlessly presents in this book. Additionally, the story arc is reasonably accessible to mature-thinkers of younger age. This book does need to be limited to only an adult audience. It makes a good foil for younger readers who follow world news or events and would enjoy exploring some of the same topics in a different world through the eyes of a different species.

The Chandara, a race living on the plant in Lodestone who are aliens to the other inhabitants, are particularly well realized. I’m sure as this entire story unfolds, many readers will enjoy this book and those that follow courtesy of Mr. Whiteway.

As you know, one of the best comments anyone can make about a book is “I couldn’t go to sleep until I’d finished the final chapter”. Stopping before the end wasn’t an option. Perhaps you’ll find, as I do, skimming the prologue and then diving into the rest of the book is a great way to start a new series. I know I’m looking forward to the next book. If the characters or story sound like something you might enjoy, I encourage you to give this accomplished, new author a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Storms.