Sarah (Workaday Reads)'s Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Dec 07, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, rak, audiobook
Read from November 01 to 27, 2011

The world of creatures created in this book was quite intricate. I loved the detail in history and development that each of the three paranormals species had: vampire, witch and demon. These details really helped make the characters pop from the page.

The intricateness of the story did have a downside: slowness. I found this an incredibly slow read. I started off listening to the audiobook version, but switched to book version halfway through. I loved the narration of the audiobook. The accents were incredible, and the reading was rich and inviting. But the story moved so slowly, that I didn't feel like it moved at all until I switched to reading.

Can I just address the ending for a moment? For a book that was so long, the story never ended, just stopped. Ugh. I hate non-endings. This was especially horrible since if felt like the story was just beginning to pick up speed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nancy Fischer Sarah,

I agree! I can't figure out why this book has such amazing reviews. It was moderately enjoyable, and the descriptions well done, but it was quite slow and I had difficulty with Diana's wide swings from powerful to a puddle and Matthew's overprotectiveness which bordered on controlling psycho for me! The last 1/4 of the book felt insanely rushed - as if the author wanted to end with the time travel so she just packed in the necessary information. Learning to time travel never seemed so easy!! All in all, I didn't buy into the relationship, the explanations of the magical book, or why Diana would mate for life with such a bossy, domineering vampire.