Morgan's Reviews > Stealing Parker

Nov 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 3-stars, 4-stars
Read from October 02 to 03, 2012

Any Pretty Little Liar fans out there? Well, I'm a huge fan! I'm rooting for Aria and Mr. Fitz all the way! For all you non-Pretty Little Liar fans, what I'm saying is that I fully support a fictional student/teacher relationship in another series that I've read and that I watch on TV. That being said, I was really looking forward to reading Stealing Parker because the synopsis hinted at a student/teacher relationship.

Was the student/teacher relationship what I was looking for? Nope. Was it anything like Aria and Ezra's relationship? Not at all. But that being said, I still really enjoyed this story. It didn't go in the direction I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it all the same. The student/teacher relationship is what inspired me to read this novel, but it wasn't the thing that kept me reading this novel.

What kept me reading this novel was the wonderful friendships and relationships the author created and the realistic teen issues the author explored. Stealing Parker is a powerful coming of age novel that explores sexuality, beliefs, values, and how judgement and ridicule can affect another person.

Stealing Parker was a beautifully written novel that really made me think. After Parker's mom came out of the closet, Parker's church, community, and friends abandoned/ridiculed/judged Parker and her family. Almost everyone in Parker's life shunned her for something that had nothing to do with her, which basically led to a girl being abandon by her church, her community and her friends. I really like how the author explored the different ways that Parker, her brother, and her father reacted to the change in their life. I also really like how the author explored Parker's trials and experience without being anti-Church or pro-Church.

I gave Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally 3 STARS (3.5 STARS). I strongly recommend this novel to young adults.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stealing Parker.

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I love Pretty Little Liars (the tv show, I haven't read the books)! :)