Diana Leigh's Reviews > Jane Was Here

Jane Was Here by Sarah Kernochan

Dec 14, 11

Read from December 10 to 13, 2011

Wow, this book really pulled me in. It was a dark, eerie story about reincarnation and karma punishing the sins of past lives. A mysterious young woman calling herself Jane wanders into the town of Graynier. No one knows who she is, and she doesn't seem to know either. Jane shows up at the house that Brett Sampson is renting for the summer, telling him it used to be her home. She's searching for clues to her past in hopes of discovering her true identity. Brett feels an unexplainable connection to this strange woman, and he agrees to let her stay with him. After Jane arrives, bad things start happening to some of the townspeople. Is Jane the cause of the trouble, or is there another outside force with an agenda of its own?

This is the second book I've read this year where I didn't like any of the main characters, but I really enjoyed the story. I don't think the reader was meant to like them. Their foul personalities and shameful behavior were integral parts of the book. I was engrossed in the story trying to figure out how everyone was connected to Jane. {I can't go into more detail because I don't want to risk giving away spoilers!}

Jane's tale is not a pretty one, but it's one that kept me turning the pages late into the night. The author is also a screen writer, and you can see that in the vivid descriptions of places and events. There were parts that were spooky and parts that were pretty gruesome. JANE WAS HERE is a suspenseful read that fans of dark thrillers would enjoy. I give it 4 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Was Here.