Andrea's Reviews > Shadow of Night

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Nov 01, 2011

bookshelves: read-historical-fiction, read-paranormal
Read from August 23 to 30, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book because I only felt mediocre about the first. However, this one was all time travel and I LOVED it!

I loved the historical details in this book. I gobbled up the Kit Marlow storyline and the details involved in these two characters trying to fit into Elizabethan England without changing the course of history (I'm sure that's going to turn out well in the next book.) I liked how the modern story line only rarely interrupted the flow of the main historical story. Too often books that have multiple locations interrupt the flow going back and forth between stories too often. There were some great lines, the relationship between Deborah and Matthew was finally consummated, and it was just an great read. It was particularly interesting to read about Shakespeare and Kit Marlow and how he played a role I this tale. And I admit I'm a sucker for historical happenings/mysteries having an explanation that is discovered (such as Kit Marlow's death, for example).

Knowing that I really did like this book, here are the things I didn't like:
1) As a witch, was it really a good idea to travel to Elizabethan England? I mean....the characters wouldn't have realized that it was extremely dangerous (especially because one lived through the time and the other was a medieval historian?????)
2) As much as I liked Deborah and Matthew, Matthew just got on my nerves. I wanted to say, Diana grow a backbone and stand up to him. And while she did in her own way, I just kept thinking I wanted this to be a stronger female. I felt like Deborah showed too many I'm antisocial and can't function in society symptoms so I'm going to fall in love with the first vampire that shows me interest. I want a strong, independent, smart, historian character!
3) this one is all me and nothing with the book, I read the first so long ago I didn't remember all of the details of it. I should have reread it before tackling this one.

These things did not deter me from enjoying this book overall. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of Night.