Nicholas Barone's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

May 15, 2012

Read in October, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed Neal Stephenson's latest book, Reamde. Unlike most of his books, it is not science fiction. It's a pretty straight ahead action-packed thriller - reminiscent of his second novel, Zodiac, or maybe Interface (written under the pseudonym Stephen Bury). Despite not being science fiction, it should still appeal to his fans, as it is packed with plenty of geeky goodness. One of the main characters is the creator of a MMORPG which has supplanted World of Warcraft in popularity. While most of the story is focused around events in the real world, events inside the virtual game world are a driving force for the unfolding plot and they have a significant effect on the story.

More than any of his other novels, the pace of Reamde is absolutely full-throttle from start to finish. The book absolutely flies by, even at 1000+ pages. The story is filled with interesting characters, and the plot is very fun. Even though I can't rate it along side my favorite Stephenson novels, I have no problem recommending Reamde highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.