Jenben8426's Reviews > The Strictest School in the World: Being the Tale of a Clever Girl, a Rubber Boy and a Collection of Flying Machines, Mostly Broken

The Strictest School in the World by Howard Whitehouse

F 50x66
May 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: kids-chapter-books
Read in May, 2012

Fourteen year old Emmaline Cayley is an aviation pioneering expert--after all her great grandfather was one so why shouldn't she be as well. Emmaline is destined to design the best flying contraption known to mankind--she just doesn't want to fly it. When she meets Robert "Rubberbones" Burns, known to be quite frankly indestructible, she knows that she has her flyer (after all she is scared of flying and someone must document the flight from the ground). But when Emmaline's mother decides that Emmaline must attend a proper finishing school, Emmaline is forced to show up at St. Grimelda's School for Girls--which just so happens to be known as the Strictest School in the World. Emmaline is devastated and must figure out a way to escape so she can live her dreams.

The book started with quite a bit of promise, but I found it to start dragging a bit as it continued. I liked the author's writing style--that of a narrator who puts their own little aside comments into the text--it was quite entertaining. The story was clever and fun with some interesting twists that weren't always quite explained (but could be in subsequent novels). I enjoyed the eccentric characters and their different personalities. Overall I think this one is good for its audience but doesn't necessarily translate well to other ages. I would recommend 8-12 on this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strictest School in the World.

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Sounds fun -- I think I shall recommend to my 10-year-old granddaughther! Thanks!