Deeze's Reviews > Yakuza Pride

Yakuza Pride by H.J. Brues

Nov 14, 11

Recommended to Deeze by: Simsala
Read from November 11 to 14, 2011

Boy this is a tough one. All through the book my rating kept fluctuating between 2 3 and 4 stars. But I think I'm gonna go with a steady 3.

Unfortunately for me the constant uses of certain Japanese words and terms was annoying and confusing. I would of enjoyed this more as a typical mobster style fic, and in fact that's pretty much how i read it, I'm afraid most of the Japanese detail was lost on me.

The big violence scenes I was warned of weren't as bad as I was imagining, (maybe due to my reading of HP fanfic? now those guys can write torture lol), But I did find parts of it over kill. Personally I don't think some things should of been used as they took away from the story, for me anyway.

But I did love the characters both the main ones and the side ones, with one exception (sorry but I hate little/old females that can scare the big bad guys with a look). I certainly felt the chemistry and in Ken's case the emotions.

The beginning I found a little slow but once you get to the mystery part then it took off running. lol.

Overall a good story with some pretty suspenseful parts.

Thanks Simsala and Lilli for pushing me to read outside my comfort zone lol. While I wont go looking for similier books, I did end up enjoying most of this one lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yakuza Pride.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Simsala A partial success after all...now that was hard work...*phew*

message 2: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Good luck....

Simsala Hey,Vio...I counted on you as an ally!

message 4: by Td (new) - rated it 5 stars

Td ...considering-only-no-promises... LMAO!!! And here I thought you caved!

Deeze shhhh Sim think it a partial victory. Don't spoil it.

Deeze Damn I love these smilies lol.

message 8: by Candice (new) - added it

Candice I love your new shelf name Dee.

message 9: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio I know Dee....this is not her type of book at all

Lilli *slowest reader ever* Ah Sims, look at this. Deeze is a tough one.

Simsala Stubborn as a mule!

Deeze Hey I said I was considering, I never said Don't Like I was thinking lol.

message 14: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio I love it, I really do!

Simsala Vio wrote: "I love it, I really do!"

Are you currently reading it?

message 16: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Simsala wrote: "Vio wrote: "I love it, I really do!"

Are you currently reading it?"

Umm no....

Simsala Friends!....speaking in riddles...*grumble*

message 18: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Simsala wrote: "Friends!....speaking in riddles...*grumble*"

Sims sorry I meant I love how all of you are trying to convince Dee to read this lolol!

Simsala I can picture that - Vio rubbing her hands with glee!;-)

message 20: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio

Deeze Simsala wrote: "I can picture that - Vio rubbing her hands with glee!;-)"

So can I. Vio not the sweet innocent she pretends. She likes it when others get picked on and so take the focus off her. Maybe we should find a book for Vio to be coerced into reading. Hmmmmm what about http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/6...

message 22: by Vio (last edited Nov 03, 2011 01:28AM) (new) - added it

Vio Never if you value your.....

Simsala ROFL! Thanks,Dee!
Now we all know how to tease Vio!!!

message 24: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio

Deeze Then my work here is done.

Simsala Deeze wrote: " Then my work here is done.

Oh and just out of curiousity, am I the only one that thinks Disney's Bedknobs and Broomsticks when I look at that cover?"

You`re not the only one...;-)

Deeze OK I started, Sim, Lilli wish me luck lol

message 28: by R.B. (new) - added it

R.B. We wish you a Mer..., ehm... luck :-D

Lilli *slowest reader ever* *keeping my fingers crossed and wishing you luck and hot flashs* ;)

Deeze Thanks lol.

Deeze Made it past the 100 page mark lol.

message 32: by Candice (new) - added it

Candice How is the reading going?

Deeze Finally finished LOL.

Lilli *slowest reader ever* Deeze, I'm truly relieved we didn't traumatize you or the other brave souls (too much).

Deeze LOL Lilli, nope no traumatization here lol. In fact give me time and I'll even let you and Sim pick another lol.

Lilli *slowest reader ever* Woah! What did you smoke?! Tell me, please, I want some, too!

message 39: by Purplegirl (new) - added it

Purplegirl Deeze, What is HP fanfic?

Deeze Purplegirl549 wrote: "Deeze, What is HP fanfic?"

Hi Purple lol. HP = Harry Potter lol. I was a big fan of the HP fanfiction a few years ago. But some of the writers got a little carried away with just how Evil death eaters could be, some seriously disturbed/imaginative minds out there lol.

message 41: by Purplegirl (new) - added it

Purplegirl Oh ok. I don't like HP. My husband makes me watch the reruns. Ive seen parts of it 200 times and he finds something new everytime and I don't understand how. I secretly roll my eyes and act interested. Lol

Deeze LOL. I got sucked in to the HP world. I enjoy the films but prefer the first one. That was the magical one for me. The books of course are better, and some of the fan fics are amazing lol. It could be worse, he could make you watch Twighlight too lol. (unless of course your a fan )

message 43: by Purplegirl (new) - added it

Purplegirl Deeze wrote: "LOL. I got sucked in to the HP world. I enjoy the films but prefer the first one. That was the magical one for me. The books of course are better, and some of the fan fics are amazing lol. It could..."

I love Twilight...everyone should. He hates it. Lol

Deeze Purplegirl549 wrote: Well, I suggested he read the books after watching all the movies. I slap myself every day for that. Now, its watching the movie and then hearing the differences from the book! I want to scratch my ear drums out but I am a supportive wife. Lol

I love Twilight...everyone should. He hates it. Lol
."

message 45: by Purplegirl (new) - added it

Purplegirl I like Twilight because it is sappy. I just excuse the sparkling vampires. That is just ridiculous. lol

message 46: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina I'm a read the book before the movie gal. I like to think my imagination can create better images than any Hollywood studio. Plus, then I get to bitch about how the movie went off-plot from the book. ;)

message 47: by Purplegirl (new) - added it

Purplegirl I guess it all depends for me. I read the Twilight books first. I just wanted to see what th fuss was about.

message 48: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Me, too. Everyone around me was reading them. Peer pressure. I really enjoyed the books alot. The movies, well I only saw the first two and they didn't really do it for me. I think the original casting agent should be shot. Edward & Bella were miscast and why does her dad have to wear that cheesy fake mustache? Bella felt so many emotions in the books, but Kristen Stewart doesn't show them on her face.

Loederkoningin Pff..I'm still stuck with this one. I actually really loved their first meeting, but now I'm just..meh..hopefully you're right about the pace picking up when the mystery kicks in!:)