L_manning's Reviews > Earth

Earth by Shauna Granger

Nov 01, 2011

Shayna and her two close friends have a very special bond. They can work with the elements ti do amazing things. Shayna's particular element is earth. While they are learning to master theses forces though, someone rocks their town with dark magic and sacrifices. Shayna and her friends know they have to do something about it. As they learn more information, they realize they may be more closely tied to these events than they thought. On top of that, Shayna keeps having dreams where something is after her. They are so real that she wakes up injured. Someone is trying to tell her something, and Shayna knows she's going to have to take a risk to help other people.

This was a great book! I feel like it was a more "realistic" paranormal fiction than many. The magic was very earthy and natural. Shayna and her two friends were an awesome trio, and they were very smart. This wasn't like a horror movie where the characters are in danger because they are doing things that make no sense. Their actions and reactions were normal. That's almost a breath of fresh air. Another breath of fresh air was getting a little bit of diversity in this book. Having one of Shayna's partners in crime be a secure and confident gay teen was awesome to see. There was a fairly interesting mystery and a tiny hint of romance.

The ending was a tiny bit of a let-down for me as I wanted a little bit more closure. However, I can see why it was done this way. There is clearly room being left for the sequel, and I can't wait to read it. This book is fun, smart, and full of action. This book will appeal to people who like paranormal book and even some who don't normally like them. The more realistic nature of the plot makes everything very believable. I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

Book provided for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth.