Sara's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult
Read on April 08, 2012

This is the second book in the Matched trilogy, following both Cassia and Ky as they navigate life outside the Society, working in parts of the land that the Society doesn't regularly send Citizens. Cassia's there because she wants to find Ky, who's been sent away from the Society to work.

I wish I could give a better summary of the plot, but there really wasn't one. What made the first book so strong, in my opinion, was the layers of mystery and the constant feeling that there was more than meets the eye. In this book, you barely get a summary of what's previously happened, but it doesn't really matter because most of that knowledge is unnecessary anyway. Instead, Cassia and Ky are both kind of wandering through the land, knowing they need to stay unseen, but never understanding who the enemy is or what they really want. I'm guessing I was supposed to feel the tension throughout the book, but I had a hard time feeling any tension whatsoever because it felt like nothing ever happened... they just wandered.

New characters were introduced, the best of which was Cassia's new friend Indie, who's confident and well spoken. Small new subplots were introduced - secrets being kept, a possible rebellion brewing. None of these plots ever went anywhere or were fully resolved by the end of the book. Much like the characters, the plot itself just wandered along.

This entire book could have - and probably should have - been condensed into 50 pages. Instead, we get the play-by-play of them wandering, ruminations about love, lots of poetry being quoted, and two narrators that sound practically identical; I couldn't tell Cassia's and Ky's voices apart. The ending set up the next book well and made it sound like it'll be far more interesting than this one. Then again, how could it not be?

This book is a giant disappointment overall. It has no real plot, no action, no mystery, no answers, and no development. Granted, the third and final book hasn't been released yet, but I'm guessing you could probably skip this book altogether and just read the next; it's not like you'd be missing much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.