Keri's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

2719644
Feb 21, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book of essays by Mindy Kaling was exactly what I needed for a weekend read: short and hilarious! I really knew I was going to like the book already, from the snippets I had read off Amazon. I'm a fan of The Office and so therefore, technically a fan of Mindy's writing already.

The book gives you a little insight into Mindy's background, growing up, how she got her start, big break, writing for The Office, and then the end is just a bit of randomness that I imagine floats around in all of our brains. Our random opinions on all things non-essential: Mindy covers how long it takes men to put on their shoes, chest hair, Irish exits, and the definition of "hooking up". It also feels surprisingly honest in some parts, usually when describing Mindy's physical appearance and the struggle with that growing up and in Hollywood.

This book is almost as good as Ms. Tina Fey's...so close. I laughed out loud at multiple parts and am happy to note that Ms. Kaling agrees with my personal opinion of Chris Farley and Will Ferrel...I love them. I would recommend this book if you are a fan of comedy, if you liked Bossypants, if you are a fan of The Office, or you like snippets of what it might be like to be a minor celebrity.

pg. 4 "You should know I disagree with a lot of traditional advice. For instance, they say the best revenge is living well. I say it's acid in the face - who will love them now? Another old saying is that revenge is best served cold. But it feels best served piping hot, straight out of the oven of outrage."

pg. 24 "Unlike other athletes, Frisbee people won't let it go. My theory is that this is because there's a huge overlap between people who are good at Frisbee and people who do Teach for America. The same instinct to make at-risk kids learn, which I admire so much, becomes deadly when turned on friends trying to relax on a Sunday afternoon in the park."

pg. 195 "I went into a stall, sad down on a kid-size toilet, and cried. Why didn't I just lose twenty pounds so I never had to be in this situation again? Life was so much easier for the actresses who did that. Was my problem that I was this food monster destined to only wear navy shifts? Lots of stupid people were skinny, and yet I couldn't do this incredibly simple thing they could do with seeming ease."

The whole chapters "Don't Peak in High School", "Married People Need to Step It Up" and "Types of Women in Romantic Comedies Who Are Not Real" are definitely worth a look!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.