Renee's Reviews > The Night Strangers

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

Nov 01, 11

Read in November, 2011

This book was even more disappointing to me as Chris Bohajalian is one of my all-time favorite authors.

What a great beginning to this story: a plane hits a flock of birds’ right after take-off and the captain, Chip Linton, unsuccessfully makes an emergency water landing where thirty-nine people die. Chip's entire family is deeply traumatized which prompts them to move to a sleepy northern New England town to begin a new life.

This book falls as fast as the plane from here as the house they move into is a haunted Victorian house with mysterious doors and passageways where an atrocious murder of a child took place years earlier. No surprise, this house is located in an area prone to power outages and crazy electrical storms (hence no phone service when the witches are about to lop off your heads).
The small town they settle has a plethora of green houses that just happen to be cared for by female witches who are all named after herbs (Verbena, Holly, Reseda, Anise, etc.) These witches are looking for the next pre-pubescent child to sacrifice of to ward off the aging process (who are the witches eyeing? ….you got it, Chip’s daughters).

Only because I really loved everything Bohjalian previously wrote did I stick with this silly Alice Hoffman- like novel that reads like a tincture gone wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Strangers.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Ariel I am stuck in the beginning and it seems like it is going nowhere. Thank you for providing a review for letting me know what the story is about. I couldn't decide whether to keep going or not.

Renee My pleasure! Have you read anything else by the author? I think his other work is really, really great!

Ariel This is my first book by this author. Could you possibly answer one quick question for me? I am listening to the story on cd with my daughter who is 12 on the way to school in the morning. Is there anything objectionable as far as sex that maybe I should be aware of? Thanks,
Ariel

Renee Hi Ariel:
No not really, there is nothing I can think of. I listened to it on audio too (I love the narrators voice!). I loved Skeletons at the Feast and Midwives by this author, i thought they were great. If you read, them let me know what you think! Renee :-)

Ariel thanks!