Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

A fair warning: this review contains mild spoilers because writing my rant without them was next to impossible. Proceed at your own risk.

The Sookie Stackhouse series is dying a slow and painful death. Everybody knows it. Charlaine Harris knows it. She knew it even before she signed the deal for the last three books. What’s more, everyone who’s been following the series closely can pretty much tell when she stopped caring. What started off as entertaining and steaming hot (albeit poorly written), is now similar to a diseased and dehydrated animal, just waiting to be crushed by an oncoming car.

So now that we’re here, mourning, let’s make a list of Charlaine Harris’s sins, shall we?

• She wrote no less than ten books going in one direction, only to change course rapidly and unexpectedly in book eleven, thus disappointing countless fans all over the world.
• She created one of the hottest, most intriguing male characters in urban fantasy (and in general, ahem), and then she turned him into a monster I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole. Oh my. No cookies for you, Charlaine.
• Every alpha male that ever showed up in the series was (and is) attracted to Sookie. While I may believe that she’s pretty and likable, I fail to see what makes her quite so special. The list is pretty long: Bill, Quinn, Alcide, Sam, Eric and many others, including her cousin and her great-uncle – barf. Also, once they fall in love with her, they never stop pining after her. Never. She ruins them for all other women.
• Harris’s overly simplistic writing didn’t bother me back when her books were actually entertaining, but now that her plots are getting weaker with each book, her writing weaknesses are also showing a lot more than before.
• She is prone to describing ridiculously meaningless details of her heroine’s everyday life. Case in point: Sookie spends exactly 10% of Deadlocked filling out IRS forms, and another 5% making sweet potato pie. I kid you not. At least now I have the recipe.
• Sam. It’s pretty clear by now that Sookie is going to end up with him. He is the guy who’d failed to notice that he was dating a homicidal maniac (she wasn’t as secretive as all that) until a completely random stranger warned him about it. In my opinion, Sam needs to grow a spine before he becomes a serious love interest, and I don’t see that happening.
• In one of her many interviews, Harris said that the bond between Sookie and Eric is her biggest regret. The way she chose to get rid of that bond was ridiculous at best.
• Faeries. I don’t think I need to elaborate. Everything went downhill when Sookie’s heritage was discovered. Her great-great-grandfather freaks her out, she describes him as both creepy and scary, she saw him no more than five times total, and yet she insists that she loves him. Because he’s beautiful. And a prince. Duh.
• Monkey sex and ice packs. Enough said.

This was my very first urban fantasy series. It’s what got me hooked to what later became my favorite genre in the world. That’s why watching it bleed to death right in front of me hurts like hell. It really should have ended with book 8. After that, it just went from bad to worse.

You are more than welcome to contribute to the list in comments. I’ll add some of your comments to the actual list, together with your name, if you want.

Dead Ever After? No, thank you! (Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I’ll read it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

05/02/2012
26.0% "Why do I do this to myself? This one is even worse than the last one." 10 comments

Hilda Mircea is wicked. *grins*
I have only read the first and second book of the series though. Planning to read the rest... someday. :P

A lot of UF series I loved have ended up disappointing me this year. What do you think of Shadow Heir by Richelle Mead? I can't believe that's the way she ends the series. :/

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I never got into that series! It just didn't work for me from the start. Oh, have you tried the Kara Gillian by Diana Rowland? That's one of my all-time faves.

Hilda No, I haven't tried it. But if you think it's wonderful, then I have to check it out! You might be the biggest influence why I want to read Ann Aguire's books, Maja! xD

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, yay! I can't wait for you to read Grimspace. It's such a beautiful series, so emotional.

Definitely try Diana Rowland's series. One extremely hot demonic lord and one swoon-worthy FBI agent should keep you occupied for a while. :)

Hilda Okay, I'll get Grimspace next! I'm reading Enclave right now, and enjoyed it. I might not be the biggest fan of zombie (nothing pretty in that thing), but the whole plot is very interesting. Hopefully I can finish it today1 :)

Gosh, I think I'd fall for the demonic lord even before I read the series. I always have tendency to fall for that kind of guy in fiction LOL! Thank you for the recommendation! <3

message 56: by Anna (new)

Anna couldn't agree with you more. And Harris forever ruined faeries for me.

Roxanne James Wow! It's like you read my mind and quoted me verbatim. I just finished reading it and it was painful to say the least. She should have ended this series several books ago. She has another great series out there, "the Harper Connelly series", that she could have kept going with but chose to end it after 4 books.

I guess it's better to go out with dignity rather grasping a burning inferno which is evidently what is happening with this series. RIP Sookie Stackhouse series!

Lizzie You nailed this review. I agree 100%.

message 59: by Pattij (new)

Pattij thank you maja, you put it beautifully!

Vampsessed Agreed, the series went from one of my favorites to one of the worst. It was literally painful trying to get through this last book.

Ta§chima Cullen All this is true, all true. Can't believe what Charlaine did to Eric's character... it's just bad :/

message 62: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been keeping up with the series and I should have read your review before I unwittingly purchased this latest fail.

Linds "Monkey sex and ice packs. Enough said." For real. I think this scene turned me off almost as much as her fairy kin being attracted to her.

message 64: by Ruthless (new)

Ruthless Maja wrote: "I probably shouldn't review it since my review would have t be very insulting, and I always try to avoid that if I can. She's going for Sam, btw, and she's turned Eric into a total bastard, complet..."

I stopped reading about 4 books ago or more, and I can say that I am happy about that because it seems she has completely ruined Eric...

message 65: by Marla (new)

Marla I was lucky and came upon this series late so I only had to pay like $7.00 for most of these books. That's a good thing too because I'm a very enthusiastic reader and read these books in one day because they are so short! I've been putting off buying this book because I have issues with paying $15.00 for such a short read. I ended up with a 30% off coupon and was getting ready to buy this book. I'm so glad that I read these reviews first. I'll just wait my turn at the library for this. THANK-YOU

message 66: by Noel (new) - rated it 1 star

Noel Rooks Eric,we miss you. Also, monkey sex and ice packs. Ha ha ha...

message 67: by Pattij (new)

Pattij Yes to all of the above, I only winded up buying the last (12th) book as I could not wait for it to come into the library. Not worth even 7 dollars!

Cindi Van Meir I could not agree more with your review. Each time I read it I hope for it to be better but it's not, so sad.

Ioana "Sam. It’s pretty clear by now that Sookie is going to end up with him. He is the guy who’d failed to notice that he was dating a homicidal maniac (she wasn’t as secretive as all that) until a completely random stranger warned him about it. In my opinion, Sam needs to grow a spine before he becomes a serious love interest, and I don’t see that happening. "

THANK YOU! That's exactly what I said, yet no one believed me.
As for Eric..he was interesting, 6 books ago. She wrote him enticing, hot as hell and cruel. Then she turned him into a puppy for Sookie. Now he's just an asshole.

message 70: by Mj (new)

Mj I feel the same about Harris' writing:it's too weak to have turned so crappy. The books lost their humor that was so vital to it's appeal. I was excited when sookie and Eric bonded. I always thought they'd be together from the moment she caught a flash from his mind. Sam was always appealing because he's so blah.

message 71: by Mj (new)

Mj Sorry i meant Sam is appealing. My favorite scene is when sookie hopped on eric's back and she was giggly. I understand characters grow but they've really taken a dive recently. I really think sookie will be killed or turned because there isn't any way she could live a normal life after becoming so popular to the supes. I hope the last book clarifies some inconsistencies in the storyline.

Ioana Mj wrote: "Sorry i meant Sam is appealing. My favorite scene is when sookie hopped on eric's back and she was giggly. I understand characters grow but they've really taken a dive recently. I really think sook..."

I thought so too, but Harris said it time and again: she's not going to turn Sookie. That's why I'm thinking, short of bringing in a whole new character, that Sookie's going to end up with Sam.

Anastasia It's like you read my mind. Harris was so obviously just tying up loose ends and is over writing the series. But like you said, I'll still read the next one.

Casey  Ioana wrote: "Mj wrote: "Sorry i meant Sam is appealing. My favorite scene is when sookie hopped on eric's back and she was giggly. I understand characters grow but they've really taken a dive recently. I really..."
She could end up by herself or with Quinn. I know we will see Quinn this book. I've never been much of a fan but...that's a possible scenario. I think Alcide is off the HEA list but...who knows. I really wish there was some way she could end up with Eric but I don't see a HEA because of her aging....unless, somehow, her fairy blood keeps her young longer and he says screw the Q of OK. I'm pretty sure, at some point, Ms. Harris said Sookie would live a normal human life-span. I think Bill has absolutely proven his love for Sookie (even though I absolutely loathed him for a long time) but I think that ship has sailed. You never know. I really hope Sookie doesn't end up alone and if she can't be with Eric, I'd really like to see her grow old with Sam.

Casey  Mj wrote: "Sorry i meant Sam is appealing. My favorite scene is when sookie hopped on eric's back and she was giggly. I understand characters grow but they've really taken a dive recently. I really think sook..."
I don't think Sookie will be killed or turned. Ms. Harris said Sookie would never be turned. I think she can be safe once Felipe is dead. Even if she chooses to be alone, she has Bill, Pam, Bubba, Sam, Quinn, Alcide and his wolves, the fairies, and the viking vampire god(I'm sure I've left someone out) to protect her. I don't think any of those people will turn their backs on her. She should be well protected.

Linds I'm pretty sure that she's said that both Eric and Sookie survive the series, and that Sookie does wind up with an HEA, although not necessarily the person she thought she would.

message 77: by Nika (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nika Hilda wrote: "Awesome review, Maja! I skimmed your review the last time because I want to avoid spoiler and now I reread it again. I loved this series but it turns out into something I don't recognize anymore. E..."

I couldn't agree more! With you and Maja's review. :(

message 78: by Bryden (new) - added it

Bryden Mcgarry I just finished this bok. Because I feel compelled I will finish but wow this book was pretty awful. I was 150 pages in when my husband asked me what was going on and I couldn't answer him!

message 79: by Kira (last edited Oct 25, 2012 01:27PM) (new) - added it

Kira I see your review as my future :) I still added the last two books to read. I fought reading them for so long but decided to rip the band-aid off. I'm checking them out of my library as others suggested...& donating the rest.
Immortals After Dark, by Kresley Cole, held me together when things started going down hill.
I still want to cry about Eric too. Her biggest regret, WTF?!?!

Summerbreeze Clinger nice guys always finish last, and Sam is the one who didn't actually get a chance with Sookie... I'm not entirely disappointed in this being the ending. Eric has simply stayed himself. he may have been the sweet guy in book 4, but he immediately goes back to himself and I truly think it stays that way. Eric is the sexiest vampire in existence but that doesn't make him right for Sookie.

Galla Sam's not actually all that nice. He never showed interest in Sookie until others started showing interest in her. He has terrible taste in sexual partners (remember when he slept with the maenad and defended her to Sookie, after she nearly killed her? His choices after that weren't much better.) He can be snappy and judgmental.

I think he's as flawed as anyone else who's ever been a love interest for Sookie.

Kristen This is the greatest review of this book ever. You have put into words everything that irked me about this book, and this series. It was my first too, and book 8 was the last one I can say I liked enough to not look back on with a look of disapproval.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Haha, thanks, Kristen. I think most of us feel the same so it wasn't very hard.

message 84: by Susan (new)

Susan I gave up about two books ago, they are just a waste of time. I tried her other series but didn't like them very much.

Rachel I thought this was an improvement over the last few, but I agree on your points about her writing (it's obvious that the editing care isn't going into them since it's more important to just get them on the shelves at this point), and the fact that every man falls head over heels for Sookie. Sure, she's likable, but good grief.

message 86: by Lynndsie (new)

Lynndsie Hamilton I'm struggling to get through it. The last couple of books have not been that impressive. I wish the series would end with a bang, if this is what she is going to keep putting out.

message 87: by Riya (new)

Riya I stopped reading this series after book 3. I like the show so much more than the books.

One thing I'm grateful for is that these books were my introduction to the Urban Fantasy genre.

Caitlin Crowder What everyone is saying about Eric is how I've always felt about Bill. When she no longer needed him she destroyed him.
And yes, Sam is a nice, spineless twat.

message 89: by Mia Victoria (new) - added it

Mia Victoria In one of her many interviews, Harris said that the bond between Sookie and Eric is her biggest regret. The way she chose to get rid of that bond was ridiculous at best.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric is the only reason why I read this book, and now, now . . .
*tears all over*

Flamesparrow Perfect review summing up my feelings exactly. They've always been fairly vacant books (I've never known so much detail about a character's clothes before this series), but it's gone from some pointless stuff mixed into a story to some story in amongst the pointless. I ended up not caring about any of them, and finished the last page still waiting for the story to kick in.

Clare I think in my review I was too kind (I always am) because on reading your review I find I totally whole heartedly agree with you! I loved the relationship of sookie and Eric and its been completely ruined :(

message 92: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Hudson I love these books I don't want it to stopp

Julie Levenhagen You are dead on about this book. It felt like CH used a shitty ghost writer. These characters have deteriorated so much. Why was Tara in this so much? She's a minor character at best. I suspect it's due to True Blood fans expecting more Tara in the books. I can't even with what's happened to Eric. At this point, barring a miracle, the only satisfactory way I can see Sookie ending up is by herself.
Although I can't help but wonder... what do faeries smell like?

message 94: by Athena (new) - added it

Athena Ben I was trying to figure out since I read 'Dead Reckoning' what is wrong, and why I had such a difficult time finishing the damn book! (since the past ones I read all in a week or so!). Reading your comment was like lighting a bulb in my head saying 'AHA!! that's what's going on!' I havent read this book, but if Sookie and Eric are done, I'm gonna be pissed!!!

message 95: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Great review/summary - I totally agree and judging by reading your summary - YOU should write the next Sookie book and bring closure to the dying series! :)

message 96: by Janna (new) - rated it 1 star

Janna I agree with everything you said. Sigh. I loved the first books! The first eight were so much fun. I was trying to figure out where she was going with sookie's long term love life because I really liked bill and Eric both. And then this drivel??? I'm done. Thank god I didn't buy the last one.

message 97: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine Simmons I have a horrible feeling that you are right. I loved the Sookie/ Eric dynamic and if Sookie ends up w/Sam, I'll throw something. I like Sam, but shapesifter or no, it's just dull. I hate to say Ms Harris has let us down, but it looks that way. excellent review by the way.

message 98: by Barb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barb Nakashima Your review was spot on! I had the series demise pegged at book 8 as well.

Barbie Brundige I so wanted her to end up with Eric :(

message 100: by Kathy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathy Kramer Of course, I'm reading it and I'll read the last one to complete the series. The later books aren't as good as the earlier books. But at least Harris decided to end the series, unlike Janet Evanovich and the Stephanie Plum novels. Those jumped the shark a long,long time ago. Sometimes, though, I wonder how much influence the TV show has on the later books (as in that perhaps the author is trying to not follow the TV show too much, which is why we get more of the fae in the books than on TV.)