Jamie's Reviews > Rogue

Rogue by Rachel Vincent

Jan 09, 12

Read from January 05 to 09, 2012

3 stars to the slow first half; 4 stars to the much better second half.

Rogue takes place a few months after the events of Stray. Faythe is settling in to her new role as the first ever female werecat enforcer. She is partnered with on-again, off-again love interest, Marc. Faythe has made some serious concessions since Stray: She's willing to stay at the Lazy S as long as she can train to be an enforcer, and she's freely admitting her love for Marc. The couple seems very happy at the beginning of this book.

The plot thickens as strippers and tomcats are turning up missing and/or dead, and the tomcats are being killed by a tabby. The Sanders Pride must figure out what's happening - they can't have tomcats turning up in their territory dead every couple of days.

Faythe and Marc seem very close as they are investigating this mystery. Faythe is trying to watch her smart tongue and to learn as much as she can, and she's making headway, respect-wise, with her father and Marc.

As soon as Faythe figures out the "big mystery" she tells her "Daddy" and the rest of the gang that (view spoiler) This is the part in the book where things get good. Marc is livid with Faythe for not telling him sooner, and feels that she's making a fool out of him. Marc has some serious hangups (view spoiler) Marc and Faythe fight. Then they make up. Then Greg separates them as a team. Then Marc gets super pissed. If you can't tell - this is where it all get a tad dramatic.

Marc and Faythe (view spoiler) Marc is very hurt and is now giving back to Faythe the pain she has caused him for the last five years:

As much as the above quote seems over-the-top to me (after all, Faythe doesn't have a good track record. She left him at the alter and he's been waiting for her for 5 years - he doesn't want to look like a wimp to everyone), I felt terrible for Faythe. The entire situation they are fighting about isn't her fault. A mistake that no one could have predicted was made. However, Faythe has made her bed, and now she needs to lie in it.

So although there is tension between Marc and Faythe, the team finds the first surprise and is attacked. During the attack, Faythe is cut up, and Jace is wounded trying to protect Faythe. After they haul surprise number 1 back to the ranch, the evil Luiz from Stray comes to take Faythe and avenge his brother. There is a lot of action at the end, there are fights, injuries and the usual. The book ends on a mild cliff hanger, and with many, many loose strings.

Once again, Rachel Vincent writes excellently descriptive violent scenes. Just one example that had me turning my head as I read:

Forcing my feet into motion, I pulled the dumbbell up as high as I could. Two feet away, I swung it forward. He looked up just in time. His eyes widened in surprise, and in sudden fear. The weight crashed down on him, crumpling his forehead with a horrific, wet, crunching sound.......He no longer had a face. He had only a crater, with teeth embedded in mutilated, wet red flesh.

I said there were a lot of loose ends at the end of Stray. One being the fact that mama Sanders is spending a lot of time alone and in furry form. Something's going on with her - I just don't know what. And Ryan. He's a sniveling, out-for-himself, stab-you-in-the-back, opportunist, sure. But what's his real purpose in this story? Surely Vincent didn't write a character that's only purpose is to rot in the cage. And of course, the mild cliff hanger at the end. Faythe's brother Michael was a real a-hole in this book. He said a lot of not-so-nice things to Faythe that I thought were a bit harsh. I don't know what he holds against Faythe, but he needs to be put in line.

Marc and Faythe - My problem with these two is that I'm not 100% invested in them yet. Although I'm told that will change, I can't help but thinking that these two deserve each other. Marc is over protective and bossy, but he would also die for Faythe. Faythe is still a spoiled bitch, but she does love Marc. The problem is that Faythe won't give in an inch. Not at all, and Marc needs just a tiny bit to placate him and all would be well. They are both to blame for the situation they are in right now.

This book became much more interesting about halfway through. For me, it went from lukewarm to "I-need-to-read-Pride-right-away." I will be reading Pride as soon as I can. My interest is piqued just enough to finish this story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rogue.

01/06/2012 page 105
01/07/2012 page 185
47.0% "Please tell me this gets more exciting? When does the gut-wrenching begin?" 16 comments
01/08/2012 page 293
74.0% ""You make me hate myself, for not being man enough to say I've had it and tell you to go to hell." Whoah, whoah, whoah. As much as I dislike Faythe, Marc's being a bit of a dramatic. She's a bitch and he knows it. What happened in this book isn't her fault, and I'm doubting that she did anything to Andrew in the first place. I'm reluctantly feeling bad for Faythe right is." 12 comments
01/09/2012 page 380
96.0% "Really? The bad guy got in the house? Guess it's not as well guarded and safe as they thought. And I'm getting sick of Karen Sanders and how she treats Faythe,"

message 1: by Emmy (new)

Emmy I'm going to start this tomorrow night after I finish Second Grave...

Jamie I need to read both the books in that series.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* You haven't read them Jamie? After we do TMI you should read them. You're just in time for the third one - comes out the end of January or I can send you my ARC.

Jamie I just got both books for Christmas - I've just been waiting for a chance to read them :) Thanks for the ARC offer - if I get the first two read, I just might take you up on that offer!

MISS VAIN I know I thought I was the only one that passed on your ARC Christen but knowing that Jamie is behind too, I feel better.:)

MISS VAIN Hope you like Rogue:).

message 7: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Loved Second Grave! Now I'll start Rogue. The best thing about the Charlie Davidson books is the humor. Maybe not a lot of sex but very sexy.

Christen, do you know how the ending varies? Will it be important to read the official release?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Yes I do! When I got the ARC from the publisher it came with a letter from Darynda Jones. It said that she killed someone off at the end of the book, but not to berate her and throw eggs at her door because she changed her mind after the ARCs were printed and decided not to kill off this character after all because she had more she wanted to write for this person's storyline. So the finished copies would have the difference.

I might still buy the final copy, or I might literally stand in a bookstore and read the last two or three chapters...

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* P.S. - Book 3 starts out (almost literally) with sex........ :p Just a little something to get you through the night!

MISS VAIN HAHAHAHA!! Christen I did that for the (August released) Chess & Terrible short story last year!! Lol. I just never remembered to add it to my feed because I didn't read the entire book. Lol at the Starbucks inside my B&N lol.

I forgot about the sex, I remember now....delicious.;)

message 11: by Emmy (new)

Emmy What?! How? With how book 2 ends....

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* I know...I was caught off guard too...let's just say it's angry sex.

Samina ~ Escapism~ ok which book are we talking about?Shifters?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* No Third Grave Dead Ahead.

Jamie Does Ryan even belong to Greg?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Um random question what???

Ryan's one of Greg's son and one of Faythe's brother. Are you asking cause he's such a wimpy little shit?

Jamie Just thinking he doesn't fit in. I guess that means Ryan's legitimate ;). I was hoping he was adopted or something, b/c he's such a lame ass.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Lol, yeah he's pretty darn lame.

MISS VAIN He is very lame. He has that attitude that he's so mistreated. Ughhhhhh.

MISS VAIN His mother protects him so much, because he's lame.

Jamie Why am I not getting notifications!

Lame. Ass. What's mamma's secret?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* She just loves her baby I guess. He was the one the *needed* his mommy.

MISS VAIN Christen a.k.a. Goldilox wrote: "She just loves her baby I guess. He was the one the *needed* his mommy."

Ditto! And even if there was a secret do you think we would share it with you?? Puh-Leese! This coming from the same girl having a secret spoiler conversation on my status thread and I'm not invited.:/

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Wait, there's a secret spoiler conversation going on?

MISS VAIN I'm not getting notifications either...it's on one of my status update for Dead Witch Walking...feel free to join in Goldilox if you've already read them.:)

Jamie There has to be something - why is Vaincet makeing such a big deal out of Mama spending time alone as a cat in the woods?

:) Miss Vain!

MISS VAIN Well Jamie you should have been a detective with that thinking.....;) You're good.

:) Jamie!

Jamie Still don't know what mamma's problem is....

MISS VAIN Oh I thought you knew....your warm though...;)

P.s. I'm almost done with DWW. I really like this book even if it lacks romance. Especially loved the rat fights!!!! Hahaha!!!!

Jamie Goody! Glad you liked it. They get better as you go.

MISS VAIN Glad to hear, and I just can't get enough of Jenks!

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* I love that you're invested in Greg, lol! I do love him though, he's a good dad and a good Alpha. He gets more and more involved as the series goes on.