Loppy's Reviews > Shadow Heir

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: favourites, gorgeous-covers
Read from December 27 to 28, 2011

*spoilers for Iron Crowned*

The Dark Swan series is in my top 5 series’, and the final book definitely didn’t disappoint. Many plot lines drew to a fulfilling close, while a few were left open.

The book picks up a few months after Iron Crowned. Eugenie’s several months into her pregnancy and holed up with a shaman family in Alabama that Roland set her up with. After the birth she hears of a blight ravaging the Otherworld and sets off to stop it.

I found the pregnancy segment rather slow. However, when the pace picked up at about a third of the way through, Richelle Mead didn’t disappoint. It was action packed and humourous with a few major plot twists along the way.

I’ve always loved the characters in the Dark Swan Series. They were three dimensional, and many underwent a substantial amount of character development since the first book. So much for some that we see an entirely different side to them. Dorian, Jasmine and Kiyo were probably the three most notable ones. I found myself falling in love with Dorian all over again. Jasmine proved to be a reliable ally and friend towards Eugenie. I didn’t detest Kiyo like many of the readers did, but definitely preferred Dorian. This book managed to erase the lingering feelings of any endearment I had towards Kiyo.

The choices that shape who we are and sacrifice were both important themes throughout the book. Sacrifice in particular was an important element in the ending. The ending was bittersweet and will no doubt generate a lot of controversy among readers. It left me satisfied, yet unsatisfied to a small degree, although I’m sure that’s the way Richelle Mead intended it. Eugenie’s life so far wasn’t exactly a fairytale, and the ending wasn’t either. Her choice was a difficult, painful one that was made at a great cost, and I think she showed a lot of strength in making it.

It was a thought-provoking novel with masterful storytelling which stayed with me long after I finished reading. It was an emotional ride and I was left with a feeling of wonderment upon completion.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Heir.

12/28/2011 page 220

message 1: by Kay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay Big Richelle Mead fan I see :)

Loppy LOL that's definitely true :D //bordering on obsession//

Catherine I'm SO jealous..it's not been released in the UK yet :(

message 4: by Kay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay Catherine - I'm in the UK too and ordered my copy from The Book Depository - it came last week! You should check out their site :)

Catherine Really? I had no idea..might as well treat myself to a late xmas present then! Thanks :)