Brian 's Reviews > The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789

The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekauff

Nov 01, 2011

bookshelves: american-history-revolution

Glorious Cause does an excellent job of proposing a theory about the early years of the republic. America's struggle for independence was seen in the eyes of many as a cause to be one. It was pure and idealistic. Its values were entrenched in our battles and fighting spirit. While this book does focus quite a bit on the military content as others have pointed out it lives up to the series expectations. Overall this book conveys a sense of American history that is lost in most books talking about the revolution. We seem to want to study the revolution via biography and in doing so we lose sight of the big picture. This book serves to remind us of that picture and does so in a clear and direct way. Like almost every Oxford book it is clearly written and well researched. The bibliography here is a little more disappointing than the others in the series but is still thorough. The analysis of the revolution and the surrounding time period is as always top notch and deserves accolades for the masterful way in which it is presented. I would highly recommend this book for those who want to understand the American Revolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glorious Cause.