Karen's Reviews > Ashfall

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: series-to-finish
Read from November 01 to 04, 2011

Have you ever woken up in the morning with that ominous feeling in the pit of your stomach? You know, that feeling when you’re kind of dazed as if nothing around you is real and something really bad has happened but you haven’t yet been told about it? That is exactly how I felt each time I put this book down.

Ashfall is the story of Alex, a 15 year old who is left alone for the weekend whilst his parents visit relatives. A few hours after they’ve left, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts and totally transforms the world as Alex knows it.

Alex needs to know his family are safe so he sets off through this new ash covered world to travel over 100 miles to find them. As food and drinking water get more and more scarce and the horror of how far people will go to get what they need to survive, Alex finds refuge with Darla and her mother.

I loved Alex and Darla and how their relationship blossomed in this dark and miserable world. It was realistic and well, like a pretty flower in the ash. I really connected with these two characters.

Ashfall was a page turner for me. I was totally immersed in this frightening, dark and violent world. Mullin certainly knows how to set the scene and I was shivering alongside Alex and Darla as they fought against hypothermia, other people with deadly intentions and scavenged in the snow for food and shelter. The characters in Ashfall were totally realistic, as was the storyline. I think this is what made it so horrifying for me. This really could happen!

I definitely would not recommend this book for younger teens as it is very violent and gory, but for older teens and adults who love horror or dystopian novels then this one is a must read!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashfall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gina (My Precious Blog) I'm reading this one right now. I have to admit I was a bit shocked by some of the violence thus far. More so though because I wasn't expecting it, than any other reason.