Meg ♥'s Reviews > Divergent

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: e-books, z-2012-reads, favs
Recommended to Meg ♥ by: Duchess Nicole
Read from February 29 to March 01, 2012

Must resist urge to pick apart all of the things I felt were wrong with this book, and accept it as the entertaining read it was. (Sorry, I can't do that).

This book was really good, but it is definitely not without flaws. I won't waste time with a summary. I think everyone who is interested in this book already knows the basic idea. Lets start with those things that bothered me. It will be quick and painless like ripping off a band-aid.

Tris. Wow this is one character that I could love one second and be extremely annoyed with the next. At one point she was unique, and then somehow she became a character that became indistinguishable from so many other YA heroines. That made me sad. For the most part, though, I liked her. I enjoyed most of her growth as a character, but I felt it was a little unrealistic that she gets the crap beat out of her in one single fight and then magically turns into an all-star fighter. Particularly when she is described as a small girl with the body of a 12 year old. Same thing with the ranks. I enjoyed watching her struggle in the beginning. She felt more real and I always love to root for the underdog. Too quickly, though, (in my opinion) she climbed the ranks and lost all originality.

The world building was lacking, the plot had several holes, and I truly felt no connection to any of the characters. Once the slew of deaths started happening I felt nothing. No attachment at all I was just like "Oh, that happened" another death "hmm okay" keep reading and move on. I'm aware that book two supposedly deals with her grief so maybe I will feel something with that, but this book was honestly so fast there wasn't time to develop any kind of attachment to the characters. One last thing. Dauntless was a group of complete morons. The things they did didn't make them "brave" in my opinion. I saw them more as stupid frat guys than the fearless group they were supposed to be.

Okay. Now that that is out of the way let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book despite all of that. The writing is so fast paced and action filled I didn't even have time to think about those things until I was done reading. The story moves very quickly, and for the most part keeps the reader engaged. For most of the story we are following Tris on her initiation into the Dauntless faction. She came from Abnegation which is a faction devoted to being selfless, and they run the government as well. Obviously life is different for her now and she needs to prove she's brave. Throw in an adorable guy who likes her despite the fact that she's supposedly not pretty and has the body of a twelve year old and here is the romance. It's cute how he doesn't care that she's not beautiful. Four is probably the best thing about this book. I also enjoyed how the author explored conquering fears. Above all else this is a fun book that is meant to be enjoyed without having to think. I'm glad so many others have been able to fall in love with this book, and not over think it like I have.

I mostly just wanted to read this one since book two is coming out soon, but I was surprised by how much I liked it. I will definitely be reading Insurgent, and I only hope she takes another stab at world building in this book. I would like to know more about how the factions started for one. Since this was a debut I am able to overlook some of the things that bothered me, but I doubt I will continue this series if Insurgent has the same issues.

Mostly everyone I know has already read this, but just in case I would recommend this to everyone looking for a action packed, fast paced dystopia that's fun and exciting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

02/28/2012 page 91
02/29/2012 page 194
40.0% "This book won best book of 2011 on gr, right?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lola I loved this book. <3

Duchess Nicole I loved it as well, obviously. Four stars isn't so bad, Meg!

Meg ♥ Lola wrote: "I loved this book. <3"

I can see why, Lola! I liked it too. :-)

Meg ♥ Duchess Nicole wrote: "I loved it as well, obviously. Four stars isn't so bad, Meg!"

Nope, I definitely wouldn't call it bad. I liked it a lot, actually. There were just lots of little things that bothered me. Either way I will be ready to read Insurgent as soon as it's out! :-)

Lyndz I want to read this too. I will look for your review.

HєllyBєlly Yep, there were a LOT of things wrong, but I didn't care because it was a hugely entertaining book. Not sure I will be as forgiving with the sequel, though.

Meg ♥ HellyBelly wrote: "Yep, there were a LOT of things wrong, but I didn't care because it was a hugely entertaining book. Not sure I will be as forgiving with the sequel, though."

That's exactly how I feel, Helly. I'm really looking forward to reading Insurgent, but I'm expecting more this time. :-)

Meg ♥ Lyndz_♥ wrote: "I want to read this too. I will look for your review."

Hope you like it, Lyndz. It's good and I'm excited for the sequel! :-)

✿~[z๏ℯy]~✿ I knew you wouldn't be able to resist. You're right though.

Galla The world building was lacking, the plot had several holes, and I truly felt no connection to any of the characters. Once the slew of deaths started happening I felt nothing. No attachment at all I was just like "Oh, that happened" another death "hmm okay" keep reading and move on. I'm aware that book two supposedly deals with her grief so maybe I will feel something with that, but this book was honestly so fast there wasn't time to develop any kind of attachment to the characters. One last thing. Dauntless was a group of complete morons. The things they did didn't make them "brave" in my opinion.

So true. I couldn't give it a 4 because of those kinds of problems, but much of the book was still entertaining. However, if the plot holes/logical inconsistencies/random crap that makes no sense continue into the next book, I suspect I'll find them more and more irritating.

Meg ♥ Galla wrote: "The world building was lacking, the plot had several holes, and I truly felt no connection to any of the characters. Once the slew of deaths started happening I felt nothing. No attachment at all I..."

Thanks for the response, Galla. I agree. As others have said I could enjoy this book mostly because it was entertaining and it was her debut so I could cut her some slack, but in the end she needs to fix these issues if she wants to keep being compared to books like HG which clearly have better writing.

Meg ♥ ✿~[z๏ℯy]~✿ wrote: "I knew you wouldn't be able to resist. You're right though."

lol. Thanks :-)

message 13: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom I have not read it, it is on the list. I am waiting for after the second book. Great review !

Meg ♥ Yodamom wrote: "I have not read it, it is on the list. I am waiting for after the second book. Great review !"

Thank you! :-)

Desiree I agree with all of your points. I still can't wait until May 1st tho!

Kathryn I never got the gist of the whole phenomenon that is "dystopian world", but if you are into it, you should check out Matched. It isn't exactly fast paced and action packed but sweet and vulnerable than the rest. =)

Meg ♥ Kathryn wrote: "I never got the gist of the whole phenomenon that is "dystopian world", but if you are into it, you should check out Matched. It isn't exactly fast paced and action packed but sweet ..."

I gotta say I'm not a huge Dystopian fan. In 2011 the only one I read was Hunger Games, and so in 2012 I have been trying a few more to see how I like them. So far this was the only entertaining one. I didn't really like Legend and I really hated Shatter Me, but maybe Matched will be okay. I heard it was more romance based. Thanks for the recommendation. :-)

Meg ♥ Desiree wrote: "I agree with all of your points. I still can't wait until May 1st tho!"

I am excited but nervous for Insurgent to come out. :-)

message 19: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Adding this to my "maybe-sounds interesting" pile. Great review Meg!

Kathryn Meg ♥ wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I never got the gist of the whole phenomenon that is "dystopian world", but if you are into it, you should check out Matched. It isn't exactly fast paced and action p..."

I think I'm going the same path as you are in right now =) HG is the best! Hands down! Legend, didn't do much for it's reputation and yes Matched is more romance based but not in a mooey gooey way.

Meg ♥ Claire wrote: "Adding this to my "maybe-sounds interesting" pile. Great review Meg!"

Thank you. :-)

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I want to read this but all the reviews mention the massive worldbuilding fail(s). I'll wait for paperback copies

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin I loved Divergent. It's my second favorite book series.