Meg ♥'s Reviews > Night Road

Night Road by Kristin Hannah

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: e-books, favs, z-2011-reads, cover-lover
Read from November 25 to 26, 2011

This is definitely a book I will be recommending to friends for a long time. Surprisingly, I hadn't heard anything about this book until I went to vote on the 2011 Goodreads polls a few months ago. This book was nominated for best book of 2011, and the cover instantly stood out to me, and I think it's very beautiful. I read the synopsis, and at first was hesitant, because the title, and synopsis seemed to give me the impression that the book would be very predictable. Definitely not the case.

Jude lives in a small town raising her twins Mia and Zack. Along with her husband Miles, they seem to live the perfect life in their perfect little community. Zach is very popular, but Mia is quite reserved. One day at school Mia meets a girl named Lexi when she discovers her reading a book she likes. She warns Lexi that being her friend is social suicide, but Lexi doesn't care. Lexi was from a from a foster home, and has a dark past, but Jude welcomes her daughter's new friend. Eventually she becomes like one of the family, as they all get along so well.

When I first started reading I loved the writing style. I enjoyed the fact that it changed POV between a teen and a mom. I thought that was kind of unique. The characters were great. Lexi was one of the most wonderfully written characters I have ever read about. The way she grows as a person in this book is simply astonishing. Jude was another well developed character that I could really relate to as a mom. She was over the top at times, in terms of her overbearing methods, but her heart was always in the right place. Every character in this story loves completely with all their heart. The supporting characters shined as well. The relationships between Lexi/Jude, Lexi/Mia, Lexi/Zach, and Zach/Mia were very well done.

This book has so many twists, and some are so major you wonder if you are still reading the same book. Hannah will take your emotions all over the place. One minute you will be laughing along with the family, one minute in tears, and another minute feeling angry about things that are going on. You will never be bored for a second reading this book, and I actually read it in one sitting, because I just had to know what would happen next.

I feel like this book sends lots of great messages about love, loss, forgiveness, acceptance and much more,and I feel she can send her messages in a positive way without ever sounding preachy. Night Road is an emotionally complex book, and it's truly unforgettable. This is my first book of Hannah's, and I will definitely be checking out more of her books!

I really think this is a book that can be enjoyed by teens and adults alike, but I do feel us moms can truly appreciate it the most.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Road.

11/26/2011 page 64
11/26/2011 page 182
47.0% "Ohh.......my....gosh. Amazing book!"

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Betsy That's a GREAT Book..! enjoy it! You would luv it...

Mary I love Lexy and Zach. Their love story is so amazing, isn't it? At the end of the book I stiil want more of them.

message 10: by Shayantani (new)

Shayantani Das Multiple POVS? Uh-oh. I am really apprehensive about those; especially after my recent Bruiser debacle.
Does Hannah handle it well?

Meg ♥ Mary wrote: "I love Lexy and Zach. Their love story is so amazing, isn't it? At the end of the book I stiil want more of them."

Definitely. Their love story was so sweet, and if Kristin ever wrote another book just about them I would love it! I know she probably won't do that, but yeah. lol

Meg ♥ Tanu wrote: "Multiple POVS? Uh-oh. I am really apprehensive about those; especially after my recent Bruiser debacle.
Does Hannah handle it well?"

I don't know. I guess it depends on what you don't like about multiple POV. I don't mind it as long as it's always clear whos POV you are reading, and there is a nice flow from one to another. I think she handles it well. :-) I don't know any other book that goes back and forth from teen to adult, so I just thought that was really fun.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Sounds interesting, Meg. I quite like multiple POVs as a device, but as you say, it needs to be done well. Too often the voices are indistinguishable from one another.

message 6: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Great Review meg!

Leyoh Great review, I can't wait to start now.

message 4: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Great review, Meg! I have debated on this one every single time I have walked by it in the bookstore - now, I think I might just buy it :)

Meg ♥ Thanks Leyoh, and TJ. I hope you both like it! :)

Susan I loved this book!

Vanessa I just finished the book and it was amazing. I will definitely be reccomending this book. Just loced the book as a whole and Kristin did an awesome job.