Donna's Reviews > Swordmage

May 25, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: library, fantasy
Read in January, 2009

Better than average for a D&D book, but it didn't hold my interest all that well and towards the end I found myself skimming. The characters were okay and so was the story, but the plot was fairly straightforward. The protagonist returns home after a long absence, only to find some unwelcome changes. He works to straighten out the town and defend it from external enemies. There are a few exciting scenes and cute references to the 4th ed rules.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to read this sort of thing right now.

I probably would have enjoyed this a lot more if I'd read it when it first came out, back when any detail about the Forgotten Realms update or the Swordmage class would have been welcome. But my library didn't get this until recently, and I don't buy hardcover tie-in books.

Since I'm reading this novel as someone who already has the game books, there isn't much here that really jumps out. If a few details and references were changed, this story could have been set in either an earlier Realms or an entirely different fantasy world. So I guess part of my lukewarm reaction is because I expected the hyped setting update to be more of a factor in the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swordmage.