Romancing the Book's Reviews > Double Crossing

Double Crossing by Meg Mims

Oct 31, 2011

bookshelves: historical, romantic-suspense

Review by April: Vivid historical fiction mixed with murder, suspense and a lovely dash of romance makes Double Crossing by Meg Mims an out of the ballpark hit.

I have to admit that for me, Double Crossing is a bit different than the books that I normally read. However, I was curious to give it a try and can honestly say that I would have missed out on an amazing book if I had not! Author Meg Mims delivers a story that is not only amazingly vivid, clear and engrossing, but she takes readers into a another time and place with her details.

It truly never ceases to amaze me to read what life was like centuries ago for women. They were to be “looked after” by a man (or a chaperone) and to become learned was out of the ordinary. In short, women were to be obedient and more or less a puppet of sorts. The main character in Double Crossing, however, is nothing like this. Lily Granville is an incredibly intelligent and strong willed woman, whose courage and perseverance is highly admirable.

When Lily’s father is murdered, she happens to catch a glimpse of his murderers as they flee from the house. It is her desire and heartfelt duty to find and confront the killer. This, however, is anything but simple and Lily quickly learns that she can trust very few people.

As I mentioned before, Meg Mims does an outstanding job in her descriptions. As I crossed the countryside with Lily and her friends (and unknown foes), I was thrilled to learn and read what the land once looked like. The fact that peppermints and fruits were such an amazing treat made me stop and think how different things were in that time compared to now. The way the lifestyle of that era was brought to life sucked me into the book deeply.

The majority of the story takes place on train and during its stops. This was another aspect that I found interesting and fascinating. The suspense was drawn out throughout Double Crossing perfectly and the blossoming romance between the “bad boy”, Ace (who Lily hired to help her get to her destination and keep her safe), was enthralling. I truly cannot think of a single aspect of this story that I would change. It is perfect and wonderful. The ending was also written in an excellent manner that leads the reader to believe that a sequel is on its way (fingers crossed very tightly!). I highly recommend Double Crossing by Meg Mims to anyone looking for a superb story – whether a lover of historical fiction or not!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Crossing.