Megan's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Jun 23, 2007

liked it

I liked this book. I read it as an adult, and I found it surprising and interesting. It covers ground that has certainly been covered before--Soylent Green and Logan's Run are the two things that pop into my head--but it is well-written and I find that the sixth graders that I teach really like it. They say that it makes them think, that it is sad, it is interesting.

I read a review on here where a guy slammed this book and called it didactic and thought it was shameful that we tell children to read it and we are underestimating their intelligence or whatever...but I can honestly say that this book sort of blows my students' minds--they really haven't read anything like this before...and I don't see what's wrong with the messages in this book...I suppose they are obvious to an adult reader, but it isn't really intended for adult readers--it is intended for children who are just starting to question what it thrown at them by authority figures...children who don't completely understand metaphors yet, who still think on a concrete level.

I don't teach it, although it is in our curriculum if we wish to teach it...but I offered it as extra credit to whoever wanted to read it and do a project on it. The kids gladly read this and Gathering Blue and told me to teach The Giver next year instead of A Wrinkle in Time, which is what we did this year. Most, without exception, 6th graders I have come across are not ready for 1984, Aldous Huxley, or even Farenheit 451 yet. This is a nice introduction to dystopic literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

Susan Coley I read this book in preparation for a freshman English class. The class is mostly boy jocks and I am anxious to see what they get out of this.