Lisa's Reviews > The Sandburg Connection

The Sandburg Connection by Mark de Castrique

Nov 06, 2011

Read from October 31 to November 01, 2011

I didn't think I was going to like this at the beginning, but it improved remarkably as the story progressed. The setting, the Asheville and Flat Rock area were well depicted, and considering I have homes in both, I suppose I can judge thay pretty well. de Castrique tells me that he had one bad review, Booklist, in which the reviewer said that there was nothing to let the reader know this the setting is a southern mountain town. All I can say to that is that the reviewer knows nothing of the area. First of all, the Asheville & Hendersonville are as much unlike the expectations of a southern mountain towns as they are like; therefore, if the reviewer wanted a stereotypical mountain town, he needs to read a book not set in this area. The evolving relationships of the characters is well handled. Seems that I distressed the author by solving the who-dun-it angle of the story. I thought the mystery angle was not that mysterious, though there are enough questions about the nature of the mystery to keep the reader interested even if he figures out the who easily. That said, I was the only member of the group who did figure it out. Hmmm... The writing is generally good, though at times cliqued. For instance, I shouldn't be able to predict what a character is going to say, but often I could. Still fun reading and I will certainly read more by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandburg Connection.

10/31/2011 page 10
4.0% "Set in our town. Spend a good bit of time at the sandburg home. The author is going to be a our book club so I really need to get moving on this one."
11/01/2011 page 40
16.0% "Hmmm...not loving it. Sort of cool that it is set where I live and many places that I spend a good bit of time at figure in. The characters are a bit stereotypical-hippie lawyer, sassy secretaries..."