Nicol's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

2209781
Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, blue, healing, children-s-books, graphic-novels-illustrations, favorites
Read from January 30 to 31, 2012

I read this on a not so cold winter night as I coughed from my pneumonia, I read it because readers I have never met or never traded books wrote of the emotion brought from this book. I knew before picking it up that tears would be involved that echoes of past heartache and loss would be dug up. I came across the hard cover of the book in a book shop and saw the illustrations and knew it had come time to read this book. I read it cover to cover, and oh did I cry, and feel the loss. This book is about loss and grief and it is about monsters. The old ones we fear under the bed and in the closet, the ones hurting us in our present lives but mostly about what if feels like to think you are a monster and it was that part, that nightmare that I understood too well. Connor fears the worst in him self while his world is crashing down around him. This is such a great an important book for children, for adults. And now that I have read it I want to give copies to everyone. If you are thinking about reading this book, read it, it is worth every star.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Nicol Liked

Patrick Ness
“He was still alive.
Which was the worst thing that could have happened.”
Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls