Lucy 's Reviews > Pretty Monsters

Mar 02, 2012

liked it
Read from February 28 to March 02, 2012

Reviewed for heartsonfirereviews.com

This is a very short story which appears to be the beginning of a series. Josh, he of the title, works the night shift at Quik-Mart. Sounds run of the mill, until you realize that there is a hell portal in the Quik-Mart parking lot, and the customers who tend to come in might be lizard-monsters or the walking dead. Decaying zombies who always go for the frozen burritos (and when Josh suddenly wonders if they go for it because those frozen burritos are made of brains, I had that same “that’s SO possible” moment).

It’s not all gross and gunky, however. Josh also gets to see Hot Guy when he comes in. Tall, sexy and handsome, Hot Guy is the subject of many of Josh’s fantasies, though he hasn’t actually talked to him yet. Finally, one day when the air conditioning goes out, Josh gets up the nerve to talk to him.

Josh is very cute and I liked the twist at the end. The length of the book was somewhat detrimental, as it’s like the first chapter of something, so I’m going to have to go see what comes next. This was my first Andrea Speed story, and I’ll definitely read her again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Monsters.