Suzy 's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Nov 06, 11

Recommended for: Nick, Meagan, Teri
Read from October 31 to November 05, 2011

It only took me a few pages to realize that this was an author I'd put in the Dan Brown/Michael Crichton "man-writer" category. Very suspenseful, well-developed story written in a thinker/sensor mode. Just the facts, ma'am. These guys are gifted story-tellers, in my mind, not gifted writers. But all of them have delighted me, their stories compelling enough to outweigh the writing style. Which isn't bad, just not my cup of tea.
I loved the character of Salander, the pierced and tatted loner/savant with a mysterious history of abuse. (Warning: Sadistic sex scenes abound--not for the faint of heart or prudes.) Not usually a mystery-reader, I did enjoy trying to puzzle-out Who are the villains here? I liked the fact that the story was set in Sweden, just because it was new territory and culture for me (though my best friend in eight grade was Naida Osline). It was perfect timing, as the weather is just beginning to get cold now. Before I could finish the book, I was intrigued enough to Google Steig Larsson and the movie trailers. The late Larsson was a communist who devoted his life to investigating ultra right wing activity in Sweden. The Millenium Trilogy--of which this is the first--was only posthumously published. Apparently he was writing it mostly for pleasure and had only recently begun to pursue publication when he accidentally died! Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie and already have a date for it. This is a long book but a fast read--sort of like having a bag of potato chips in the cupboard or a gallon of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer.