Shazza Maddog's Reviews > Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 2

Nightschool by Svetlana Chmakova

Oct 31, 11

Read in October, 2011

When we last left Alex, she was enrolling in the Night School with the help of a vampire and his human girlfriend. Now she's in the school, and things aren't going as well as she wants. She has managed to explore almost the entire school, but the only time she thought she might feel any link to Sarah is when she sneaked into the school in the first place. Alex has now met the lead girl of the school - and has been found wanting - however, she's also gotten enough attention with the way she and her Astral work together to promote her from the 'grade school' class to the class of Mr. Roi, known as one of the most interesting teachers in the entire Night School.

Meanwhile, the Hunters are worried about their comrades, who are slowly dying from whatever Alex did to them, and the Hunters are trying to find her. The head of the Hunter is protecting a seer from the werewolves, but the werewolves might be the only way to find Alex.

I know I'm supposed to feel bad for Alex, but the fact that three people are dying from whatever she did to them makes it a bit hard to like her. I'm actually more worried about Sarah than her. The other characters haven't really given me enough to decide whether I like them or not.

Chmakova's art, as usual, is a delight, and I love her designs for the characters, and particularly Alex's Astral. Her art is obviously inspired by Japanese manga, and she sometimes uses the particular style for her characterizations.

I'll probably pick up the next manga in this series, just to see if it's worth it, but it's really not grabbing me as much as her series, Dramacon!, did.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightschool.