Heather's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Nov 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: children, fantasy, myth, novels
Read from October 31 to November 03, 2011

In this Percy Jackson book, Percy and Annabeth must travel the Sea of Monsters (a.k.a. the Bermuda Triangle) to save Grover and obtain a mythical item that will heal Thalia's poisoned tree, restoring the border of Camp Half-Blood.

Reading this second installment in the series, I still felt like Riordan creates well-plotted books--it seemed like he must have taken the time to plan the whole story in advance. I like that. I also like the pacing again. On the other hand, maybe it's just gotten a little too silly for me. Percy's sarcasm and the comic elements were funny in the first book, but as part of the author's voice they get monotonous.

Some of the reviewers of the first book were saying that the story didn't give them any real sense of danger, and I could see that while I was reading the second one. Percy saves the day constantly, and when he's in trouble someone always saves him. The things that save him are plausible in terms of the plot, but often ridiculous at the same time, taking away from the drama. I wish Riordan had found a way to include the humor without ruining the tension, but maybe that's what makes the series so popular among kids--it's exciting without being too scary. Twelve-year-olds everywhere may be fearing for Percy's future at this point in the series, but others may be becoming weary of his string of success. Although I count myself among the latter, I might read more at some point--I still want to find out what the prophecies mean, etc.

My favorite quote: "Hermes shrugged. 'Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related, for better or worse . . . and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.'"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.

Quotes Heather Liked

Rick Riordan
“Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.”
Rick Riordan, The Sea of Monsters