Bonnie's Reviews > The Glass Case

The Glass Case by Kristin Hannah

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, owned-ebook, anthologies-and-short-stories, adult
Read in November, 2011

A short story of regrets, doubts, and learning to play the cards dealt to you in life.

My initial thoughts was that this story reminded me of the movie Where the Heart Is, although maybe not quite as dramatic. April gets pregnant at 17 by her high school boyfriend Ryan. When her mom finds out she starts planning their wedding immediately, but that day never comes because her mother has less than 2 months to live.

Taking a stroll down memory lane 10 years later, April looks back thinking of everything that could have been but will never be. She worries that she never lived up to who her mother wanted her to be. Amid her recollections of the past, she waits for her 6 year old boy to get off the bus from school. When he's not on the bus and she can't find him at school, she's forced to put her life into perspective.

Predictable but cute short story that made me interested in taking a look at more of her stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Case.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I've never read anything by Kristin Hannah, either, although I see her books at the library all the time.

Bonnie Yeah it's not normally my normal genre preference but it was such a short story I thought it'd give me an idea on what to expect. I'm not completely sold but not completely against it. Her stories seem to me to be like the female Nicholas Sparks. haha

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bonnie wrote: "Her stories seem to me to be like the female Nicholas Sparks. haha..."

If that's the case, I think I'll stay away from her books - I can't "do" Nick Sparks :D

Bonnie hahaha I can understand that. I've read a few in the past but my tastes have definitely... improved. :D

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bonnie wrote: "hahaha I can understand that. I've read a few in the past but my tastes have definitely... improved. :D"

"Friends don't let friends read Nick Sparks" (unfortunately, I can't convince my daughter of this truth).

Bonnie Eh, you live you learn. :D

Desert Rose I'm reading it now, it seems like a good one.. but isn't the guy's name Ryan?1

Bonnie Apparently when writing reviews at midnight, Paul and Ryan are actually the same name! Lol

Desert Rose Lol, I know what you mean!!
I had to go check from the book myself.. I'm liking the book already!

Bonnie Good! I liked it as well. I think I would enjoy her full length novels more.

Desert Rose I finished it and I loved it.. I will have to check her novels too!

Bonnie :D Great

message 13: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Kristen Hannah's books are great. Try reading Night Road, Home Front or Winter Garden. I have enjoyed all the books I've read by her.