Romancing the Book's Reviews > Pleasure Island

Pleasure Island by Angela Aaron

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, erotica

Review by Jen: Unlike many of the other reviewers at Romancing the Book, I actually like novellas when they are well rounded. Granted, the plots are going to be a bit more simplistic and characters aren't going to be as developed as a longer novel, but a good author with a unique story can overcome those obstacles and deliver an amazing tale.

Pleasure Island isn't a bad story, in fact it's rather spicy and has some promise. It's just that it isn't all that unique. As I read, I kept remembering back to an old Jodi Lynn Copeland book I reviewed a couple years ago about a "tortured" woman who was sent, against her will, to a remote resort for therapy. Which pretty much describes Pleasure Island, where Cassie is still recovering from a bad break up and is finding it hard to trust and let go. Her best friend sends her on a vacation in hopes that she'll find her old self.

In this novella, I think the character development was the strong point. Cassie and Ryan are developed well enough that I cared what happened to them in the end. Of course, I would have loved to delve even further into their respective pasts to see what made them who they are now, but we got enough of a glimpse to satisfy me.

The weakest point, for me, is how the book is wrapped up. It just seemed too convenient and predictable. I mean, it's a romance, so obviously there's going to be some sort of Happily Ever After. But getting to that point was just too tidy. I would have liked to see a couple additional pages with a bit more detail in how they got to their HEA (do you know how hard it is to write this without spoilers?). I just know that I was left wanting just a little more.

If you're looking for a spicy, fast read, go ahead and try this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pleasure Island.