Karen's Reviews > Agatha Raisin As The Pig Turns

Agatha Raisin As The Pig Turns by M.C. Beaton

1119019
Dec 10, 11

Read in December, 2011

Although I have read all the previous Agatha Raisin books, this was the first audio CD of her books that I had experienced. As regards the storyline, I thought this one was actually better than some of the most recent of Agatha's adventures - there seemed to be more meat to the story. Agatha Raisin is never going to be a nice cuddly Miss Marple but she does have a certain charm. Most of the characters from the previous books appear - Mrs Bloxby and her husband the vicar, the village busybody Mrs Benson, Sir Charles, Roy, Bill Wong, Agatha's ex husband James and of course Toni and her colleagues from the detective agency. Although you could possibly read this as a standalone - it is a definite advantage to have read at least some of the previous books to have an idea of the characters and the history between them.

Penelope Keith reads very well - she is very clear and concise and mostly it was a pleasure to listen to. The only thing that spoilt it for me was when she tried to do various accents - she should have kept to reading it straight. They ranged from a dubious Brummy accent to a Yorkshire sounding Gloucestershire accent - and as for Toni's voice - this was dire - using such a small pathetic voice didn't do the character justice at all.

You could while away a very pleasant few hours listening to this and despite my criticisms above, I would listen to another audio book read by Ms Keith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agatha Raisin As The Pig Turns.