Brooke Johnson's Reviews > Kat, Incorrigible

Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis

Oct 31, 11

Kat, Incorrigible is a magical tale, filled with witches, romance, adventure, and the occasional highwayman, all in the prim-and-proper setting of early 19th century England.

It's been a long time since a story has captivated me to the point of utter enjoyment. I go into reading a book hoping to learn from it; so, I read critically, as a writer. Not this book. From page one, the author dragged me into Kat's world and held me there until the last page. Kat, Incorrigible, simply put, is the sort of fantastic tale I grew to love in the work of Diana Wynne Jones. I can't really explain it, but it's one of those books that, as soon as I settled into the couch and read the first word, I fell into a comfortable state of reading bliss.

Kat is the sort of strong-willed, spunky girl I always wanted to be as a young girl (including the magical powers). Her family is just as interesting, with determined martyr, Elissa; secret witch, Angeline; and stuffy socialite, Stepmama. Not to mention the quiet vicar father, and the mysterious, never seen, reckless gambling brother, Charles. The characters Kat meets through the course of the book are just as memorable.

As far as plot goes, the adventurous quest to save the Stephenson family is enjoyable to the very end. Everything wraps up neatly, but there's the promise of books to come.

I can't even give the book the review it deserves because I can't find the right words.

Just read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kat, Incorrigible.