Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: dac-2012, for-review, from-publisher, edelweiss, young-adult
Read from June 28 to 29, 2012

I think I expected a lot from ‘Defiance’. Almost every review I’d read had been 5 stars, and there was so much excitement for it. And then I picked it up, and I was.... a bit disappointed. Conflicted, perhaps, is a better word. I had a really hard time getting into the story. I was bored at first even though I was intrigued by the concept/plot itself (contradictory, I know). Toward the middle I was really into the characters and was excited by everything going on, and then the ending fell a bit flat.

‘Defiance’ was really a rollercoaster for me, but I can still acknowledge that there are a lot of awesome parts to this book. I think most people will really love Rachel and Logan, and even the whole society that C.J. Redwine has created. This is just one of those books that on paper I should adore, that I even look back and think “why didn’t I love it??”, but that just didn’t do it for me. The uneven pacing of the book didn’t help, and while a lot of the plot and the characters were interesting, they never felt at all unique to me.

Some great parts (especially the action scenes with the Cursed One), but overall just not for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

Eden THIS. This was totally my reaction, especially "they never felt at all unique to me". I could see why some bits were good, but none of it resonated with me. There'd be some plot/character twists that would get me going, but then by the end I wasn't really into the story at all. :/

Ashley - Book Labyrinth Eden wrote: "THIS. This was totally my reaction, especially "they never felt at all unique to me". I could see why some bits were good, but none of it resonated with me. There'd be some plot/character twists th..."

Yahhhh I dunno. Everything about this one just seems like I would love it, and so many people do, yet... I really don't remember a lot about the book at all beyond just the basics. They don't stick out to me at all.