jesa's Reviews > Stranger in a Strange Land

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Mar 11, 07

Recommended for: no.
Read in September, 2006

i read this book because my grandpa, a chemist who never reads fiction, read it, and my dad, who only ever does crosswords and other word games but doesn't read, read it willingly and lauded it as a great science fiction/spiritual work...i found it both dragged on and offended. Misogynist, mildly offensive (it's not subversive enough today to be offensive) supermarket fiction.
Also the writing was just a step above juvenile, and it was BORING. I didn't care about any of the characters, and Heinlein's vision of a possible future was dated. Some science fiction writers can write a vision of a future dystopia/utopia in such a way that you can't tell what decade the work was written in. Not so with this one. It is 1960s through and through, exploring ideas of Free Love and supposedly less rigid parameters of spirituality, but it reinforces conventionalities such as those of gender, relationships, justice, religion, etc.
As you can tell, I'm still a little pissed off I spent so much time reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger in a Strange Land.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Letitia Thank you! Someone with taste has finally reviewed this book!!

Courtney I agree with this review, totally and completely.

Wealhtheow Thank you for articulating what bothered me about this book.

message 4: by Jai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jai agree'd

message 5: by Owen (last edited Sep 18, 2007 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Owen   Yes. I loved this book when I was 14, but once I had any critical consciousness I realized how off the mark it is. You are so right - it seems most science fiction writers can re-imagine only so much of the world (technology, aliens, super-powers) but not gender-roles, race relations, etc. I had given up on science fiction, but then I read Octavia Butler. You should check her out.