Ryan's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

M_50x66
Oct 31, 11

A few years late on this bestseller, but it was worth it. Interestingly, because the documentary record on H.H. Holmes was so sparse (yes, I wanted some more gruesome details) the Burhnam storyline carried the book for me. The backdrop of architectural rivals, economic turmoil and labor unrest carried were beautifully realized. If Leo makes this into a film it will be fascinating to see how they recreate 'The White City.' Left the book stunned by Larson's research and writing skills.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth Melaugh I also wanted more details about H.H. Holmes and his gruesome story. To be honest his storyline is what carried the book for me. The Burhnam story at times was a bit dry, maybe it was because I am not from Chicago!

Ryan Yeah, I think it was a lot easier for me to visualize everything because well, of course, I grew up here but of late I've spent a lot of time that part of the city. You should know that neighborhood does not maintain the majesty it presented for the fair. My dad actually had an office in the same building Burhnam built and worked in (the Rookery). On Holmes, doesn't it feel a bit wrong to want to know more details?!

Elizabeth Melaugh It does feel wrong but it was so interesting!