Ed 's Reviews > A Brief History of Time

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

Nov 10, 11

Read in June, 1990

While this brilliant book is about the universe’s origins, the beginning of time and astro-physics, to me, it was more of a philosophical and psychological thriller. This incredible work by Stephen Hawking will make you feel as a part of the infinite universe while giving you a new perspective on life. Many times, when something gets to me, or if I get on my high political or environmental horse, I think of what I learned from this book and it brings me back to the larger realities of life. From his wheelchair, a paraplegic physicist, and long time sufferer of Lou Gehrig’s disease, teaches us so much about ourselves through explaining the origins of the universe, the big bang, black holes and anti-matter.

Hawking expertly guides us through age old questions such as the beginning of time, whether it will have an end, the infiniteness of the universe and its physical and conceptual boundaries. There are several essential books that I am so grateful to have been turned on to by friends and family, this is one of them. My step-father is a physicist and we would often talk physics while out on a stroll or taking a drive. I know that may sound strange or odd, but it’s one of the things we enjoyed the most… many of our conversations would somehow find their way back to Einstein and Hawking, who together are considered the greatest all-time minds of physics.

I recommend this book to anyone who would like to have a deeper understanding of our universe while expanding their mind beyond the day to day hustle. Be warned, once you read ‘A Brief History of Time’, many inconsequential things that may have mattered to you previously will probably end up as low priority in your new order of thinking, while the embracement of life’s brevity and reaching your completion before its end will become new focal points…
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of Time.