Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm"'s Reviews > Death of a Ghost

Death of a Ghost by Margery Allingham

Jun 08, 2008

bookshelves: mystery
Read in June, 2008

I belong to a group that reads and discusses mysteries written by Margery Allingham that were a part of the Golden Age of mystery authors (Agatha Christie was a part of this group, also---about from 1920's to about the 1940's). I came upon the author by the British actor Peter Davison. I first came across him in the television show All Creatures Great and Small and then he led me to Doctor Who and then to Campion.

Death of a Ghost is about a painter who died a few years ago and wanted to "outlive", so to speak, his arch rival, so he had some paintings that he never showed and told his wife to do one painting a year for seven years, thinking that he would be haunting his arch-rival for years to come. (His arch-rival died shortly after the announcement of the showing of the first painting and never got to see it.)

There is the typical everyone wanting to get their finger in the pie, but it is well-written, and the way Margery wrote the character Max was really good. The ending wasn't what I would expect. Also, Campion has a sidekick like Holmes's Doctor Watson, named Lugg, who is his manservant, but he wasn't mentioned at all in this book. I like Lugg alot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death of a Ghost.